lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Spence32
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 1987 ez go 2 stroke running poor

I have a golf cart that hasn’t been ran much over the last 5 years. It has a 2 stroke robin motor and I mix fuel/oil into the gas tank. I decided I was going to try to use it more so I put a new carb on it, new spark plug and wire. I jacked it up to run it in the shop and it seems like I’m getting to much fuel into the engine because I’m getting excess fuel all the way out of the exhaust when it runs and it is smoking. As I run it while it is jacked up I can tell at full throttle the rpm changes significantly. I can tell at the coil I have good spark. Fuel is mixed at 128/1. I’m fairly worthless with 2 stroke engines so if you can help that would be great. Fuel filter looks like it is only 10% full but I also feel like I’m getting a pretty good amount of fuel when I take the fuel line off of the carb and turn the motor over. When I try to drive the cart around my home place it has absolutely no power, to the point you wonder if it will keep moving or leave you stranded. Thank you in advance for your help, new to this site.
Spence32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Spence32
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 ez go 2 stroke running poor

Checked compression, only 85. Probably just going to do a total rebuild this winter
Old 12-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Just a suggestion - Put the old carburetor back on it and try it. Not all carburetors come off the assembly line perfect.

I have no experience with 2 stroke golf carts, but have seen my share of 2 stroke engines.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Spence32
Not Yet Wild

Put new piston rings and new gaskets across the whole engine. The piston doesn’t move in the top end at all but still only getting 85 on my compression test. Cart fires better now but is still smoking a lot and doesn’t seem to be running perfectly smooth and has low power. If I have a tight seal with my piston and rings where else can I be losing compression? New head gasket installed. Need help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts