lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
wildhammit
Not Yet Wild

Default How to add light bar accessory and snow plow

Greetings!

I am new to the golf cart scene. I have an EZ-GO golf cart, but I am not sure of the model / year. I believe it might be a Valor or S4.

The golf cart is 48V, with factory lights, turn signal, accessory converter near batteries, front bar, and rear facing seats.

I would like to add two accessories to the golf cart if possible.

1. LED light bar in front
2. Snow plow.

I'm not too sure where to begin on the light bar. I know I have to hook it up to the accessory convertor, but not sure where the ground goes.

Also, how would I attach a snow plow? Under the front bar looks like some form of a hitch with a hole for a pin. Do I hook it up there or to the front bar? For the plow, would I be able to use any garden tractor plow, like a craftsman?

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Just added picture attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acc 2.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Acc 1.jpg (16.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg front 2.jpg (20.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (18.2 KB, 0 views)
wildhammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to add light bar accessory and snow plow

I would check rating of voltage reducer to make sure it can handle the amp draw of all your accessories.
12 volt accessory’s connected to convertor connect to the convertor s ground.
The 12 volt convertor/reducer has it’s own 12+ and 12 volt - wires. Not a frame ground such as used in auto applications.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
wildhammit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
I would check rating of voltage reducer to make sure it can handle the amp draw of all your accessories.
12 volt accessory’s connected to convertor connect to the convertor s ground.
The 12 volt convertor/reducer has it’s own 12+ and 12 volt - wires. Not a frame ground such as used in auto applications.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize the 12vot convertor/reducer has its own 12+ and 12 - wires. I am use to grounding to the frame in autos!
Old 01-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhammit View Post
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize the 12vot convertor/reducer has its own 12+ and 12 - wires. I am use to grounding to the frame in autos!
On an electric cart the frame shouldn't be a part of any electrical circuit. All of the 48 volt drive system and all of the 12 volt accessory systems should be isolated from the frame. Trying to prevent any potential crossover.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
wildhammit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
On an electric cart the frame shouldn't be a part of any electrical circuit. All of the 48 volt drive system and all of the 12 volt accessory systems should be isolated from the frame. Trying to prevent any potential crossover.
Thank you. Curious, if the frame was used for a negative, what would happen? Would it fry the batteries and the electronics?
Old 01-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhammit View Post
Thank you. Curious, if the frame was used for a negative, what would happen? Would it fry the batteries and the electronics?
Ideally - nothing. But, if you ever touch the frame during maintenance you could weld tools to places they shouldn't be and injure yourself. Similarly if drive issues ever did occur, like motor brushes come apart and touch to the case, you would be shorting across both the 48 volt & 12 volt systems at the same time. Not good!

By the way, if you're intending to use a winch or hydraulic pump to move the blade you'll probably need an auxiliary battery to run it. The converter is not going to carry enough amps.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #7
wildhammit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Ideally - nothing. But, if you ever touch the frame during maintenance you could weld tools to places they shouldn't be and injure yourself. Similarly if drive issues ever did occur, like motor brushes come apart and touch to the case, you would be shorting across both the 48 volt & 12 volt systems at the same time. Not good!

By the way, if you're intending to use a winch or hydraulic pump to move the blade you'll probably need an auxiliary battery to run it. The converter is not going to carry enough amps.

Ah, I see now...yeah definitely not good! I will check the built in converter for the + and - wires. I know I will need to purchase another cylinder fuse as there are two open spots.

I didn't plan on using a winch system for the plow. I am looking for in inexpensive way to clear our long driveway. I was thinking of the manual one with a lever or a fix one that I slip on to move the snow, then take off.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd be worried about the abuse a plow would put on the cart. These things are designed to carry two people and clubs on paved paths and smooth fairways, not perform the duties of a tractor or utility vehicle.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:45 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 View Post
I'd be worried about the abuse a plow would put on the cart. These things are designed to carry two people and clubs on paved paths and smooth fairways, not perform the duties of a tractor or utility vehicle.
What you say is true to a certain extent. We commonly ask these vehicles to go well beyond their intended design. However, lots of people do plow snow with carts. There are purpose-built plow set ups available in the aftermarket. As long as you keep it reasonable - an inch or two is fine, but you're probably not going to push couple foot drifts. Traction will normally be the limiting factor.

Tags
accessory, light bar, snow, snow plow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO