lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Jim Cahoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Talking 1990 Gas Club Car-Fuel pump problem

I bought a 1990 Club Car that has been sitting for a while. I assumed someone had left gas in it. After spraying cleaner in the carburator it started and I thought I had the problem solved. The next day it still wouldn't start. I took all the lines off the fuel pump and they are all open. After that I tried to start the cart with the seat off and noticed that there was no fuel going to the fuel filter. I am assuming the fuel pump is bad. Any suggestions?
Where is the best place to get parts?
Jim Cahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1990 Gas Club Car-Fuel pump problem

http://www.cartpartsplus.com or http://www.everythingcarts.com/

both are site sponcers and both have what you need. i bought my rims through every thing carts and getting ready to order my clutch rebuild stuff and new belt with CPP. and for your question i would say yep i would think if it sat for a long time with untreated fuel in it (and i mean untreated like no sta-bil or any thing) you need to pull the carb off and clean out the carb bowl and neddle jet, and i would think if your getting the vacume to the pump and its not working then the diapham is swollin and not working, never needed to replace or repair one on a cart before so im not sure if you can get a rebuild kit for it or not or if ya just buy a new one.
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Jim Cahoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does the vacuum come from the large house coming from the lower part of the engien? How do I test it?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/high-volume-fuel-pump.html
Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jim,

Yes the pulse line comes from the engine into the bottom of fuel pump, make sure line is good and going uphill and no sags in it. Make sure screen is not clogged up on fuel pump. test with fuel line goin to carb off and check back in and let us know results?
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Jim Cahoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I think I have the fuel pump problem solved. The pulse line was not very tight where it is mounted at the engine. I can now see fuel in the clear gas filter. It still won't run. I sprayed starter fluid in the carburator and it ran fine for about 5 seconds.
I guess I need to clean the needle valve. I think that is the rectangular pin with a point that is about a half inch long and about a 1/8" square that is under the float(that is the way I remembered it on a lawn mower). Is there anything special that I need to know?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jim you are describing the float needle. Yes you will need to remove the float and needle and clean them up but you will also want to remove the needle jet as well for this is most likey the issue of not running, if the float needle was stuck open then you would have gas coming out the over flow, and of corse you would get no gas if was stuck shut, but you said it sat awhile so best bet is pull it and clean it all.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Jim Cahoe
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not sure I know where the needle jet is? I did remove something on the top of the carburator that was slotted and cleaned it. I believe it had 2 or 3 holes on the side and one tiny whole on the end.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

the needle jet on a carb is on the bottom of the carb between the two float toons. all you'll see is a flat brass area with a straight screwdriver slot to un screw it out. be carefull and use a screw driver that fits the slot good caz the brass is a soft metal and doesnt take much to tear up. if you look through the carb through the air intake side through the other side (or vise versa) and see the needle in the middle of the carb. you are removing and cleaning out the area (jet) that the needle sets in. (the more throdle you give the cart the more that needle is pulled up and more gas is alowed to pass through the jet around the needle.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

N/M
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car