lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #31
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 87 Club Car Vegas 440 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu4life View Post
I finally got my cart put back together and was able to take my son on the first ride with the cart fully assembled. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCGxwU_rpE

Its hard to tell by the video the torque this engine produces but if you listen to my son well there you go. That's about how dad was feeling Inside too.

I GPS checked the speed at about 20mph which is plenty fast for my application. I'm pretty sure I could pick up some more speed if I wanted it by tightening my belt some more. As it is I am adding some slack to the throttle cable to limit the torque as kids will ride this some after I get tired of riding it :)
Wait until you put the cam in it!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #32
ncsu4life
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got the Cart up to the Lake House and it ran very well overall with few modifications needed from me during its first extended time of riding. However i have a decent amount of backfires during deceleration and was wondering of any ways to help reduce them. I am killing the engine by having the carb close. My muffler is from Vegas Carts. I'm wondering if it is a combination of the free flowing exhaust and a lean condition of the carb closing while the engine is still getting some gas through the closed carb.
ncsu4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #33
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You might be running a little lean. You can try to add more fuel with the mixture screw. Also an exhaust gasket leak will cause popping. Mine did the same thing. Adjusted the mixture, and tightened the exhaust down better....no popping now.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #34
ncsu4life
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Slo are you using the same muffler I am from Vegas? Just curious if it is a contributing factor.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #35
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Slo are you using the same muffler I am from Vegas? Just curious if it is a contributing factor.
Yes, same muffler. It shouldn't pop at all if you get it dialed in.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #36
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had to remove or take the cap off the idle screw on both clones I did. The idle screw is right next to the carb spacer on the spark plug side of engine. They cap it or break it off and loctite it. You turn that out some, but may not be enough to richen idle. So then you pull that plug under the idle speed screw on top, the idle jet is inside that plug and you need to enlarge it just a tiny bit, its really small. I ran a strand of wire through it and sawed on it some that was enough. Then re-adjust the screw, got rid of backfire popping and it starts much faster.

Be careful of throttle off killing, if the throttle ever sticks/etc it will not stop. I put a relay on it to kill with the pedal. It was $6 for the relay and harness at the time on amazon. You could put a switch on it, all the key or switch on a clone does is ground the kill wire (from the coil usually black wire) to the engine block to kill it, like many lawn engines do. But my cart has the gen on it yet working like stock.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #37
ncsu4life
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Be careful of throttle off killing, if the throttle ever sticks/etc it will not stop. I put a relay on it to kill with the pedal. It was $6 for the relay and harness at the time on amazon. You could put a switch on it, all the key or switch on a clone does is ground the kill wire (from the coil usually black wire) to the engine block to kill it, like many lawn engines do. But my cart has the gen on it yet working like stock.
Yes i was planning on adding this in as well but i don't see where my kill wire is on my engine. I have one yellow wire coming out the back that i think was the oil sensor wire.

This is the best picture i could find currently of the wire I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GX440 clone.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #38
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That little black wire is the ground wire to the ignition coil, aka "kill wire". It usually hooks to the "on/off" switch on the side of the engine cover, which on your engine is deleted. So that little black wire, I suspect, is just hanging there.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #39
schmidt30
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The time has finally come for me after reading and lurking on these forums for the past 6 months or so to swap out my engine in my 87 club car. Not having a fancy workshop or any fancy tools to fabricate i waited on Geoff at Vegas carts to get his kits together and let me tell you it was hard waiting over summer with a broken cart. The old KF82 has been a great little engine in this cart as my family has had the cart since about 89-90 with little to no problems until the last few years. then this past spring it got a bad knock and i believe either broke the rod or the bolts backed out one (haven't opened it up yet but will after its pulled). i decided not to mess with the KF82 anymore due to the high cost of parts and the cost of a rebuild would be more than what i could by a new clone with complete swap kit. I've ordered the GX440 Clone, Taper adapter for original clutch, engine mount, starter/gen mount, and exhaust which is scheduled to arrive Fri. I will likely have some questions along the way as I'm no mechanic but am fairly good at figuring out how things work and fixing things. Last night i got started on taking apart the cart to get prepared for the parts to come in. I've added a few pictures of the cart tore down and wow i didn't realize what 26 years of dust and dirt looked like. i stopped when i got to soaking the drive clutch over night to try and remove it. this clutch was put on this past spring by a local repair guy on the side so i thought i may be able to pop it off without the puller but no luck yet. i haven't tried hitting it with anything just prying with my hands so far. any tips or tricks are welcome. or if someone local has a puller that would be great in the Raleigh area.
do u have and exciting coil laying around or a blown motor ??????
schmidt30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
87 club car, clone, vegas carts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps