lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Default sand blasting block

What about sandblasting a engine block? Im going to use walnut shells so it dont pit, is harbor freight a place to buy? Thanks
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: sand blasting block

I used oven cleaner on mine,made it look new!
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had trouble sourcing walnut shells in my old town but was able to find glass beads.
They worked great on snowmobile blocks and heads, just turn down the air pressure
so as not to shatter them.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

No sand too abrasive. I also used glass beads although it left a slightly pitted surface. Be sure to mask off the cylinder well and blow ALL the passages out. I washed mine in soapy water and rinsed well also. I do like the oven cleaner idea.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Definitely do not sandblast. I've used the walnut shells before. They work ok to clean up bare metal but not very good if the item is painted. I'd go with glass beads. You can get the walnut shells and glass beads at HF.
As Slo said, clean the parts real good before assembling.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If I were going to paint it I would use the fine sand, it would make the paint stick better. It does not remove much material unless you hammer it over and over while blasting.

Yeah, only do the outside!

Even that cheap spray can engine degreaser will take dirt and oil off, especially if you rinse it with a pressure washer closely.

Can you buy the button holes anywhere? I was at a place that used those. They can take the paint off coat by coat if they want. Did a lot of vettes and boats there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If you've ever been on a tour of the Harley Davidson plant in York PA, you would have seen that they use walnut shells to strip rejected painted parts.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
if i were going to paint it i would use the fine sand, it would make the paint stick better. It does not remove much material unless you hammer it over and over while blasting.

Yeah, only do the outside!

Even that cheap spray can engine degreaser will take dirt and oil off, especially if you rinse it with a pressure washer closely.

Can you buy the button holes anywhere? I was at a place that used those. They can take the paint off coat by coat if they want. Did a lot of vettes and boats there.
sounds dumb what are button holes? I never did much paint stripping, thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuggie View Post
sounds dumb what are button holes? I never did much paint stripping, thanks
Pretty much plastic beads, like the holes out of buttons that is about what size they are. GM used to warranty paint problems and recommended you only use that process to remove the factory paint. It was the only way to leave the factory primer (alpo?) on there. They did not want that primer removed, not even for body damage. We did work for a GM dealer at the time. I don't know if they still do that, but we had to send out vehicles to get the whole thing stripped that way when the entire car was to be repainted.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
pretty much plastic beads, like the holes out of buttons that is about what size they are. Gm used to warranty paint problems and recommended you only use that process to remove the factory paint. It was the only way to leave the factory primer (alpo?) on there. They did not want that primer removed, not even for body damage. We did work for a gm dealer at the time. I don't know if they still do that, but we had to send out vehicles to get the whole thing stripped that way when the entire car was to be repainted.
i blasted my block today with glass beads it came out great , just a little pited, i dont think even the new ones are real smooth , im sure there casted up, some engine paint on it and it will be like new, thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha