lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Splash
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Boiling Batteries test good - Bad Charger?

The software to update the controller is available only to dealers and adjusting the settings to increase the speed will lower the field amperage and cause the motor to overheat. Also it will then create an issue with being legal within the federal regulations for an LSV. There is an AC drive kit from Performance golf cars available that will provide more torque.
Sounds like you still need to get the charger programming checked out and do the equalization charge and check that one battery again or do a load test on that one battery. I would suggest you contact Tomberlin directly and ask them to help you find a dealer or someone to provide service and they can also send you a copy of the OM. Here is a link to the Tomberlin website Dealer locator as well. http://http://www.tomberlin.net/#/section/taglocator
The fan on the 2008 was designed to keep the controller cool at low speed operation. When the vehicle is driven slowly 2-5 mph the FETS in the controller switch on and off at a very high rate and will cause the control to go into what is refered to as thermal cutback to protect itself. The fan with the heatsink keeps the control cool enough to perform in this operating mode. It should run whenever the key switch is turned to the "ON" position. If it is running when the key is off something is not wired correctly and it will discharge your battery pack and needs to be corrected.
Also, the ph# for the Tomberlin HQ in Augusta Ga. is 706.860.8880

Keep me posted, Thanks Splash

p.s. Scottyb, thanks for the kudos :)
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

The Algorithm update is only if you have US batteries as the delta Q did not come with one from the factory. Dealer can update your delta q if this is the case, it is a very simple deal.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The DQ charger is preloaded with 10 different algorithms, which don't require any special equipment to change between. Post what batteries you have in the vehicle, and we can look up the correct algorithm and give you instructions on changing it yourself if it's preloaded.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

TS, Tomberlin realized that the DQ they used did not have the US battery algorithm in it when they had battery issues, they then sent an update to their dealers to correct this problem.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
LordofGolf
Not Yet Wild

Hi All,

I had a golf cart dealer come out and check my batteries and he said they are bad. So now I need new batteries and am surprised I can't find a thread on this forum about what to buy and where to buy them. I am looking at Trojans based on comments in this forum and it looks like the T-890 is the best 8 volt but the dealer told me he usually uses T-875 and can get them for $125 each. I reviewed the technical specs of each but I don't know how much more the T-890's would be or if they are worth it. Any opinions?

Thanks
LordofGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Look into the Crown 190 also ... they are very comparable to what you are looking at and made in USA. hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofGolf View Post
Hi All,

I had a golf cart dealer come out and check my batteries and he said they are bad. So now I need new batteries and am surprised I can't find a thread on this forum about what to buy and where to buy them. I am looking at Trojans based on comments in this forum and it looks like the T-890 is the best 8 volt but the dealer told me he usually uses T-875 and can get them for $125 each. I reviewed the technical specs of each but I don't know how much more the T-890's would be or if they are worth it. Any opinions?

Thanks
That is a fair price for T-875, that is I would pay in my area. S. FL.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
Splash
Not Yet Wild

The algorithm will need to changed for Trojans as it is specific to the battery mfg. I find it difficult to believe that all your batteries are bad. if taken care of they should average at least a 5 year life. most likely there is one cell in one battery the pack that is weak or has what is referred to as a soft short. For the std. USB batteries your charger should be set as follows, algorithm #71 should be used for 8V x 6 and #11 for 6V x 8. I strongly suggest you verify the algorithm and charge the batteries. Batteries will gas/bubble when charging. An easy way to check to see if there is one bad cell is to remove the caps (be sure you are in a well ventilated area) start the charge cycle and observe they should all bubble about the same amount. i f you have one or two that is substantially different then that is most likely your culprit.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another excellent post Splash.
Most people do not take proper care or use their batteries properly. I replace a lot of 4 yr old battery packs as a result.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
aussiecart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
The algorithm will need to changed for Trojans as it is specific to the battery mfg. I find it difficult to believe that all your batteries are bad. if taken care of they should average at least a 5 year life. most likely there is one cell in one battery the pack that is weak or has what is referred to as a soft short. For the std. USB batteries your charger should be set as follows, algorithm #71 should be used for 8V x 6 and #11 for 6V x 8. I strongly suggest you verify the algorithm and charge the batteries. Batteries will gas/bubble when charging. An easy way to check to see if there is one bad cell is to remove the caps (be sure you are in a well ventilated area) start the charge cycle and observe they should all bubble about the same amount. i f you have one or two that is substantially different then that is most likely your culprit.
Splash, I have a question, if you have a Delta Q battery charger and you have Trojan batteries 6 x 6v and you change to USB Batteries 6 x 6v do you need to change the algorithm on the charger? Is that correct? and if so, do you need to take the charger to a dealer or is it something you can do yourself? thanks.
aussiecart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48ss, batteries, charger, emerge, tomberlin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin