lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #21
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: RXV or Precedent??

Kernal, sorry I posted that before I saw your response...that makes more sense! I have seen a lot of lifted rxvs on google-are they most likely using upgraded controllers, or just reprogramming?
Billycro214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #22
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A stock controller is 235amp Curtis makes a 350amp controller to handle all the upgrades. Bob Boyce can program the 350amp controller for your needs.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's both, now and later. Now= poor braking performance, huge loss of hill climbing torque, strange characteristics when coming to complete stop. Later= failed controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #24
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha-makes perfect sense. Thank you all for such great advise. I’ll look into the difference in doing it with or w/o the upgraded controller. I love the look of a lifted cart, but not at the expense of breaking my new cart!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #25
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billycro214 View Post
Kernal, sorry I posted that before I saw your response...that makes more sense! I have seen a lot of lifted rxvs on google-are they most likely using upgraded controllers, or just reprogramming?
They are most likely NOT modified controllers. It is common in the industry to put a lot a bling on a golf cart (lift, wheels and tires, seat covers etc.) and not bother with the drive train upgrades which are expensive and would eat up all the profit. All they want is for the cart to work for a few weeks or months and if there is a problem they can claim you abused it.

The RXV is different than other golf carts in that there are no wheel brakes, the motor is AC (brushless) and the controller controls, well, everything. The motor is the brake. The controller is "mapped" for lack of a better word. When you use tires bigger than about 21" (some say 20-20.5") you are outside of the controllers mapping (again maybe not the best word) and the possibility arrises of overheating, corruption of the software etc. Braking will likely be reduced (the motor/controller) is the brake. Slow speed maneuverability is difficult because the controller becomes slow to respond. ( not technically correct but that is the seat of the pants feeling).
Similar problems arise with regular DC carts. The stock drive train is designed to power the cart with 2 riders and clubs at speeds below 15 MPH on a golf course. When you add large tires, back seats, long canopies and extra bodies(people) you are exceeding the design parameters. So over time the controller and motors overheat and eventually fail but now you have exceeded the short if any warranty from the seller. There isn't any profit for them in drivetrain upgrades which are necessary for optimum performance and reliability.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #26
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

So here is the part I would need, which is 1500-any downfall to using this navitas one for half the price?

https://shop.txtsv.com/speed-control...-12v-batteries

https://www.ebay.com/i/223462712528?...8456e5ffcf4adc
Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #27
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Take your time one will come up on eBay sooner or later. They go for around $800-$900 for the Curtis 350amp controllers. Like I said Bob Boyce can program it to your needs.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #28
Billycro214
Not Yet Wild

I think that sounds like a winner-and I’m assuming that with the 350 amp controller, properly programmed/tuned you could put any size wheels and tires, lift, etc. that you would want...?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #29
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Take your time one will come up on eBay sooner or later. They go for around $800-$900 for the Curtis 350amp controllers. Like I said Bob Boyce can program it to your needs.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the 2008-11 RXV had the 235 amp Danaher controller, the 2012-2016 RXVs came with the 350 amp Curtis controller which Bob can tune either in the cart or be mailed to him. But starting in 2017 the new controller must be installed in the cart while reprogramming it...

I got a 2016 specifically so I would not have pay to replace the controller.
I just had to get Bob to do his voodoo magic on it and it was a completely different machine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #30
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

On my RXV I'm running 255/50-12 EXCEL Classic, 21" tall, with 2" front wheel spacers on the front without a lift kit. They run great but will still rub if I turn the wheel to the stops. Keeping the center of gravity low and the added width of about 4" really helps keep the cart more stable when running 20+ mph.

When these wear out, the next set of tires will probably be 20-20.5" to avoid the rubbing issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO