lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
Fltmedic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 98 Ez Go TXT sluggish forward

So I recently installed new batteries because my old batteries were not holding a charge or didn’t seem to be. Switched from 36v to 48v switched before installing new batterie.. Cart has an Alltrax SPM 400, HD FnR switch, upgraded wires all about 6 yrs old. After the upgrade I ran the cart for a test drive and notice it has greatly reduced torque and takes time to get up to speed in forward (can’t get up driveway) Going reverse it’s a beast, cart spins out, checked FnR switch doesn’t appear to have any discolored spots. Not sure if this is an indication that my FnR needs to be replaced and appears good or if it’s something else. FWIW the cart was doing the same with the 36v batteries which lead me to believe batteries were bad but I’m guessing they weren’t. Batteries have been charged by a DPI 48v Charger so I don’t believe the batteries are the issue (less than 3 weeks old). Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Fltmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 Ez Go TXT sluggish forward

Sounds like you F/R switch is out of sync with your direction selector lever.

With the direction selector in Neutral, both shaft lever arms should be standing straight up above the pivot point. If not the direction the F/R switch is moved is the opposite the direction the selector lever moves and the net result is F/R switch assembly is in R when selector is in F.

Get the Direction selector lever and F/R switch in sync and the cart will most likely go backwards when F is selected, but that is corrected by swapping the S1 and S2 leads.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Fltmedic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnie it appears that my selector and FnR are in sync. In neutral both arms are upright behind the selector and on the FnR. Do you think switching S1 and S2 will reverse the issue even though the selector and FnR are in sync and give me full power in forward and half power in reverse?
Old 10-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes, but selector lever may no longer match up with F/N/R markings.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, might be the orange wire (Half speed reverse) is attached to MS-2 instead of MS-4 while blue wire is on MS-4 instead of MS-2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series.JPG (55.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Fltmedic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’ll take a look in the morning, I found the wiring diagram for the Alltrax on my phone so hopefully between that and your advice I should be back in business. Thanks for the help I’ll let you know what happens.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Fltmedic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I looked over schematics found that the -relay cool from the controller should be connected to negative small stud on solenoid was on B- to the controller and my small studs on the solenoid were really loose. Made correct connection and tightened the loose nuts on small studs for the solenoid and now it doesn’t move and gives me a Pre-charge error. Reconnect the wires the way they were and it moves with same issue no torque in forward, popping wheelies in reverse. May have to try swapping the motor connections.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
Fltmedic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Reconnected whats supposed to be - Relay coil to B- on controller and swapped S1/2 on motor and she’s going forward with max torque and reverse is no torque now. It’ll work just need to figure out why I have such a loss in torque in one direction so it’ll be back to normal. Connected lights to aux battery last night and they’re inop so I get to check those connections next. Hoping it’s a relay or just a low charged battery. It’s been on a tender but maybe it needs a good charge.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltmedic View Post
Reconnected whats supposed to be - Relay coil to B- on controller and swapped S1/2 on motor and she’s going forward with max torque and reverse is no torque now. It’ll work just need to figure out why I have such a loss in torque in one direction so it’ll be back to normal. Connected lights to aux battery last night and they’re inop so I get to check those connections next. Hoping it’s a relay or just a low charged battery. It’s been on a tender but maybe it needs a good charge.
Connect a computer to the SPM and use Toolkit to adjust the "Maximum Reverse Motor Speed" slider to a higher %.

Battery pack needs to be charged with 15A or higher 48V charger after each use and use the battery tender after regular charge shuts off.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Fltmedic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB, the battery that feeds the lights is a separate 12v not the pack itself. I’m charging the pack after every use and leave it attached is it’s a smart charger and will kick on as needed to maintain pack voltage.

I’ll try adjusting the max reverse motor speed, hopefully it’s a simple task.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO