lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #11
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV basics - year changes, controllers to avoid, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I can see the Onward is tempting. I'm starting to see them in numbers around here but not approaching RXV numbers yet. Probably could slap an Alltrax in there and be in the low 20's. There's the warranty thing tho if buying new.

Another thought: The chargers that come with the RXV are crap unless the dealer upgrades them or you buy a used one that has been upgraded. The Onward has the ERIC charging system. No more obc's. The ERIC chargers are getting the same crap reputation as the EZGO ones.

To get straight answers about the Onward I think I would call David Hicks at Revolution (site sponsor). He knows the club cars and is happy to answer the phone apparently. Also he's a Ga. boy.
Great info all around. Thanks - I think I will give David a call to learn a little bit more.

The other appealing thing (to add to a pretty long list) about the RXV is that it can accommodate larger tires w/out a lift kit. Do you know the largest diameter combo that the RXV can handle w/out rubbing fenders or requiring a lift kit? I know the ride on the RXV will have to be far superior to what I've got, but still afraid of low profile tires - so thinking 10" wheels - 12" max, and the most rubber I can put on top of that to try to damp the ride a bit. I'm not going off road or anything, but the ride is so jarring in my TXT it's a big concern - but maybe it shouldn't be - but knowing how much max diameter is commonly used around here on the RXVs would help!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The standard answer is 20" tall tires without a lift. There are plenty of RXV's around here with 20.5-21" tires. All that is required is some trimming of the inside of the rear plastic bumper. When fitting tires it is easy to see where to do it. Dealers/shops here do it routinely but you could do it yourself. Plenty of room at the front although with a brush guard my front tires will bump it at the limits of articulation. Hasn't been an issue for me.
I have "dual action" rear springs on the rear. Old technology but fairly new to the golf cart industry. Standard leaf with a helper leaf that comes into play as weight is added. I've had ~500 lbs back there without a problem.

I'm a believer in the importance of tires when it comes to ride quality on a golf cart. My wheels (picked out by my wife) are all about style disregarding ride quality altogether. I believe there are 12' wheel tire combos out there that will give a modern look with acceptable ride quality. 10" might be a stretch as far as looks but thats just my opinion. My old TXT with the 10" wheels really looks dated in my environment. We are like the Villages in Fl. so not the typical golf cart owner probably.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
JBERGER
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just swapped out the original RXV wheels and tires (Kenda Hole-n-1) for a set of 12" Wheels and DOT tires (Duro 12/50). I think it's at 20.5" right now overall, about 2-2.5 more top end speed at the expense of some low end grunt.

Huge upgrade in ride and handling, I was concerned that the larger tire would make it harsh, but it is actually much smoother.

My wife asked on the first ride why it was so much better, so it must be a real improvement.

It must a combination of the original tires being hard as a rock, and the new tires being DOT rated and new. The smaller sidewall doesn't appear to have created any issues.

There is something rubbing slightly in the back when the kids are on there, so I have a little trimming to do, but it's so infrequent I haven't found the source yet.

Hope that helps.
JBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBERGER View Post
Just swapped out the original RXV wheels and tires (Kenda Hole-n-1) for a set of 12" Wheels and DOT tires (Duro 12/50). I think it's at 20.5" right now overall, about 2-2.5 more top end speed at the expense of some low end grunt.

Huge upgrade in ride and handling, I was concerned that the larger tire would make it harsh, but it is actually much smoother.

My wife asked on the first ride why it was so much better, so it must be a real improvement.

It must a combination of the original tires being hard as a rock, and the new tires being DOT rated and new. The smaller sidewall doesn't appear to have created any issues.

There is something rubbing slightly in the back when the kids are on there, so I have a little trimming to do, but it's so infrequent I haven't found the source yet.

Hope that helps.
Yes it helps - thanks. So your original tires were the 18.5" smallest stock units? Just trying to do the math in diameter for your 2-2.5 mph gain.

Hard to quantify I know, but is your loss of torque obvious?

Also - is your controller a stock one with stock / original programming?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
The standard answer is 20" tall tires without a lift. There are plenty of RXV's around here with 20.5-21" tires. All that is required is some trimming of the inside of the rear plastic bumper. When fitting tires it is easy to see where to do it. Dealers/shops here do it routinely but you could do it yourself. Plenty of room at the front although with a brush guard my front tires will bump it at the limits of articulation. Hasn't been an issue for me.
I have "dual action" rear springs on the rear. Old technology but fairly new to the golf cart industry. Standard leaf with a helper leaf that comes into play as weight is added. I've had ~500 lbs back there without a problem.

I'm a believer in the importance of tires when it comes to ride quality on a golf cart. My wheels (picked out by my wife) are all about style disregarding ride quality altogether. I believe there are 12' wheel tire combos out there that will give a modern look with acceptable ride quality. 10" might be a stretch as far as looks but thats just my opinion. My old TXT with the 10" wheels really looks dated in my environment. We are like the Villages in Fl. so not the typical golf cart owner probably.
I hear you - where we are it's ridiculous (IMO) how some of these carts are done.

Nothing wrong with a nice looking cart - that's for sure - but I'm somewhat practical minded as well.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Regarding torque loss with larger tires. Acceleration is adjustable somewhat with the dealer hand held. Bob can adjust it also with more range I'm sure. I didn't want him to turn mine all the way up as more people than me use the cart and sometimes there are grandbabies on it. My TXT is noticeably faster from the start for a few feet and it's possible to sling folks off the back seat. The RXV is softer off the line but much more power after that. Another reason to live it for awhile before Bob gets his hands on it. (if you go for the rxv )
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Regarding torque loss with larger tires. Acceleration is adjustable somewhat with the dealer hand held. Bob can adjust it also with more range I'm sure. I didn't want him to turn mine all the way up as more people than me use the cart and sometimes there are grandbabies on it. My TXT is noticeably faster from the start for a few feet and it's possible to sling folks off the back seat. The RXV is softer off the line but much more power after that. Another reason to live it for awhile before Bob gets his hands on it. (if you go for the rxv )
Yep - sound advice.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #18
JBERGER
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Yes it helps - thanks. So your original tires were the 18.5" smallest stock units? Just trying to do the math in diameter for your 2-2.5 mph gain.

Hard to quantify I know, but is your loss of torque obvious?

Also - is your controller a stock one with stock / original programming?

Thanks
Yes, the stock ones were 18.5" and ran 19.5 MPH, the new set is 20.5" and runs about 22 MPH according to WAZE as GPS Speed.

The torque difference might be more noticeable for me than most folks, our area is VERY hilly, so I notice the difference when I'm trying to start off mid grade from a dead stop. It's nothing I worry about, but it is a difference I've noticed since the change.

We like to go deer spotting in the late afternoon, sometimes we get caught on a grade that makes the lack of starting torque noticeable. Rolling start it's not an issue at all, it's only from a dead stop on grade that it's apparent.

This unit is still the stock Danaher controller, and I assume there is a freedom plug installed to give it the current speeds. When it's time to swap the controller, I'll have Bob do his magic and not worry about any loss of torque. . .

This weekend I rode around the campground on my dad's 36V TXT, I had forgotten how much different the carts ride and drive. I'll take my RXV over his TXT all day long.

Last edited by JBERGER; 11-04-2019 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Spellin'
JBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO