lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
zero26tb4u
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor and Rear Axle Look Like Crap, How Can I Clean Them Up?

Just spent a lot of time removing rust and repainting my frame and it came out great.

But now I'm wondering what to do with the motor and differential. The motor has rusty hardware and some rust on the housing but I'm not sure what to do there.

And the differential has oxidization and rust stains, but I think it's aluminum.

So any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191112_075911.jpg (120.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191112_075859.jpg (163.9 KB, 0 views)
zero26tb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor and Rear Axle Look Like Crap, How Can I Clean Them Up?

Try oven cleaner? But don't leave it on there very long per application.

Maybe also vinegar (somewhat acidic), also, short soak times untill you know what effect it's having.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mask off what you don't want touched, sandblast, then paint color of your choice and done.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
zero26tb4u
Not Yet Wild

Should I only clean the differential? I think it's aluminum and the rust stains came from the frame.
zero26tb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

oven cleaner works good.. maguires wheel cleaner works great too.. use it on my 4wheeler motor alot after it gets real bad and works wonders
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I usually pressure wash, lightly sand, and paint.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

For aluminum look for some Purple Power Aluminum Brightener. Some auto parts stores carry it, might be able to find something similar a Lowes or other hardware stores. I know I've seen it in truck stop gas stations where they have a truck car wash.

It's an acid cleaner and will need to be poured or wiped on. Don't spray it because it will damage tissue if you inhale any of the liquid vapor. Use protective gloves when handling parts, and wear clothes you don't particularly care about. Pour it on the aluminum case of the diff and let it soak for a couple minutes. It will start to foam up and take most of that oxide off as it foams. Rinse with fresh Low Pressure water to wash it away.
Don't do it on a concrete driveway unless you already have stains you want to clean off.

It may need a second treatment depending how badly oxidized the case is. But it will shine like brand new when you're done. For really bad spots you may need to use a wire brush to remove heavy build up then apply the acid.

The motor studs I would clean thoroughly with a wire brush and just hit them with a bit of anti-corrosion spray after you install your new cables, or cover them with protective rubber covers.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
For aluminum look for some Purple Power Aluminum Brightener. Some auto parts stores carry it, might be able to find something similar a Lowes or other hardware stores. I know I've seen it in truck stop gas stations where they have a truck car wash.

It's an acid cleaner and will need to be poured or wiped on. Don't spray it because it will damage tissue if you inhale any of the liquid vapor. Use protective gloves when handling parts, and wear clothes you don't particularly care about. Pour it on the aluminum case of the diff and let it soak for a couple minutes. It will start to foam up and take most of that oxide off as it foams. Rinse with fresh Low Pressure water to wash it away.
Don't do it on a concrete driveway unless you already have stains you want to clean off.

It may need a second treatment depending how badly oxidized the case is. But it will shine like brand new when you're done. For really bad spots you may need to use a wire brush to remove heavy build up then apply the acid.

The motor studs I would clean thoroughly with a wire brush and just hit them with a bit of anti-corrosion spray after you install your new cables, or cover them with protective rubber covers.
Sounds like phosphoric acid, no? Truckers here use it to remove salt stains and corrosion. I use it to remove rust when I am not going to paint after and want to keep the machined finish. Works awesome, I even resurrected a turn of the century 10" lathe chuck that was rusted into 1 solid boat anchor! I cut it 50% with water and dunk parts in it for a few hours or overnight. I use gloves but have had it on my hands with no ill effects.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO