lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Default power invertor

I want to hook up a power inverter for Christmas lights on my 36(6x6) volt golf cart, how would I go about being able to get the 12 volts needed to run an inverter?
jlscjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: power invertor

Would it maybe be easier to just get some 12v Christmas lights?
If you asked where to get 12v, I’m assuming your cart does not have a 12v reducer? If it doesn’t, give the idea some thought. Do you currently have any 12v accessories? Headlights, stereo, etc?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Would it maybe be easier to just get some 12v Christmas lights?
If you asked where to get 12v, I’m assuming your cart does not have a 12v reducer? If it doesn’t, give the idea some thought. Do you currently have any 12v accessories? Headlights, stereo, etc?

Even if i had 12v lights I still need to find out how to get just 12volts off of 2 batteries instead of 36volts
Easier for what I have, already have a slew of 120v lights plus the inverter.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You can tap two of the 6v batteries to get 12v. Ezgo did that from the factory to power lights on the models that came with them from the factory. However, it is not a recommended practice. It draws those two batteries down unequally, and the charger doesn’t meter each specific battery.

I asked if you already had any 12v accessories, since that would mean you had a reducer, or 2 batteries we’re already tapped and probably supplying a 12v fuse block.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are some examples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191124-215542_Chrome.jpg (167.2 KB, 0 views)
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
jlscjs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
Here are some examples
thanks for the diagram, makes it a little easier I think. All i want to do is attach a 12v cigarette lighter adapter so I can plug in my power inverter.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
AZ.
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlscjs View Post
thanks for the diagram, makes it a little easier I think. All i want to do is attach a 12v cigarette lighter adapter so I can plug in my power inverter.
Make sure you buy LEDs the draw is less than the old incandescent.
AZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ. View Post
Make sure you buy LEDs the draw is less than the old incandescent.
He already has the lights he plans to use.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

I have used my cart as an emergency power source many times during power outages at my house. It doesn't sound like your issue is an emergency, but the principle is the same. As already posted in the thread, you can pull 12 volts off any pair of the 6 volt batteries that are hooked together.

I always looked at my 36 volt pack as 3 distinct 12 volt packs. If I needed it for a long period, I would use one of the 12 volt packs until they were down 50%, then switch it to another one, then switch to the last one. At times I have powered 2 circuits from the cart at the same time, using one to power a 12 volt light inside the house, and another to run an inverter for things that ran on 120.

When the power came back on, I always charged them back up using a 12 volt charger to keep the pack balanced. An electric cart is almost as good as an emergency generator if you monitor the batteries and don't pull out too much juice.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO