lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Wait!! What? Ignition Key?

Are all the keys the same? I can pretty much put my key into any ezgo and it will turn. That’s a problem for folks like me in a community of golf carts.

I gotta go get chains and get all ghetto and chain it to a tree now!!
localbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
pattyandrick
Getting Wild

Default Re: Wait!! What? Ignition Key?

Yep

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
pattyandrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes. They’re all the same. I think unique key switches are available from some places.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Common for one to be worn as well allowing you to turn them on via fingernail, screwdriver, etc.

We often get requests to have unique keys from paranoid folks. I don't understand as what kind of nut would steal a golf car? It's as unlikely as someone stealing a Chevrolet Chevette!
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Battery disconnect like those used on boats ( perk switch) that takes a key to unlock is another option. It’s what I use 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
chadl
Not Yet Wild

Profit makes a security kit that may be useful for those that don’t what to utilize the unique key switches.
chadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
TGJR
Gone Wild

Not sure if it is possible with the RXV but I wired in a hidden SPDT switch on the previous TXT. With the switch all the way up the cart would run normal with a key. With the switch all the way back it would run without a key. And with the switch in the middle position, it made the cart completely inoperable. So even if someone had a key, they couldn't turn it on.
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you are all scared of someone stealing your RXV, get a 2five keyswitch. The keys on them are "unique", and plug-&-play with your harness. Do not try to do it yourself with "just any keyswitch" on a rxv (unless you have 600-900 $usd to waste). With my shop labor involved, it can easily be a $1200 job if you have an older rxv. So, rip right into it all willy-nilly style and come see me for a big bill when you eff it all up.......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Common for one to be worn as well allowing you to turn them on via fingernail, screwdriver, etc.

We often get requests to have unique keys from paranoid folks. I don't understand as what kind of nut would steal a golf car? It's as unlikely as someone stealing a Chevrolet Chevette!
One of the interesting things about this forum to me is the diversity of experiences with golf carts and how they are perceived depending on the environment they are used in. Golf cart theft is an issue where I live. With thousands of golf carts in a city designed for their use they are everywhere. Kids here can drive them at 12 years old if supervised and solo at 15 with a learners permit. Sometimes they get lazy and don't want to walk so they take an unattended cart and drive to to where they want to go (or till the battery dies) and leave it. Most are recovered but at great inconvenience to the owner.
This is just one aspect of the golf cart theft issue here. There are a lot of customized carts in the mix and all carts tend to congregate in golf cart parking areas like autos. Target rich environment.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I live in Kentucky (Owensboro) and our shop is located in the boonies and the only 'theft' we see are battery theft from folks into meth. At least, that's the only reason i can think of where someone would cut cables and remove a set of batteries from someone's cart.

Even if someone stole a cart, they wouldn't go very far very fast so cops could easily catch 'em. Or, the person who owns the car comes after them angrier than a hornet with a gun in hand!

Also, our laws prevent folks from using them on the street (they were ok with it until someone got thrown off a back seat and killed) unless they have legal VINs and titles, so i suppose it's not common.

Most cars are around 20 years old or older, and most are in poor shape (owner's love it anyway) and most i see don't even have key switches--they have a toggle switch ala Auto Zone as a 'key switch' if it's old enough. Folks here hate paying $45 for a new key switch for a 30 year old plus Marathon.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO