lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking 2014 TXT 48v fleet with new batteries and I need more power mo

got the lift almost finished and now I need more power and speed what is the best setup without breaking the bank?

thanks
coldair
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 TXT 48v fleet with new batteries and I need more power mo

Alltrax XCT500, with upgraded cables & solenoid. There is no "cheap answer". You have far exceeded the capabilities of the stock controller, expecting good performance.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Alltrax XCT500, with upgraded cables & solenoid. There is no "cheap answer". You have far exceeded the capabilities of the stock controller, expecting good performance.

I have done the cables already, is there a proffered vendor a site sponsor? do I need to get a programmer?

thanks
coldair
Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No programmer needed. Alltrax software is a free download.
We offer free pre-programming so all you have to do is install and go.
The TXT48 has a long stack motor meaning it makes more torque than previous models and responds well to the Alltrax upgrade.
Most people will tell you it needs a XCT500 control but, honestly no stock motor should be allowed that kind of amperage draw. So the 500 will be turned down to 400 specs so why not just get the XCT400 control/ 200 solenoid combo for $509 and save a few bucks?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:59 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

While I agree with you about stock motors & amps. Everyone says "lifted carts should have 500a controllers". Who is right? I'm pretty sure even you have said 400a is not enough for lifted carts. I'm confused....

Personally, I'm ok with 400a controllers on lifted carts that aren't "real hunting buggies". Maybe it's just the crowd that says "500+ only". I already know what happens to stock motors on 500a (I wouldnt do it) but I have been "corrected" so many times.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
While I agree with you about stock motors & amps. Everyone says "lifted carts should have 500a controllers". Who is right? I'm pretty sure even you have said 400a is not enough for lifted carts. I'm confused....

Personally, I'm ok with 400a controllers on lifted carts that aren't "real hunting buggies". Maybe it's just the crowd that says "500+ only". I already know what happens to stock motors on 500a (I wouldnt do it) but I have been "corrected" so many times.
I agree, not every lifted cart needs 500 amps. Before we go any further lets quantify 400 and 500 amps. The Alltrax 400 amp SR peaks at 460 amps and the 500 peaks at 575 amperage flow. These specs are near the same as the old 500 and 600 amp models.
When you compare how fast the old controllers fell off of peak output (2 minutes for some) the new Alltrax 400 very comparable to the old 500.

The old AXE model 500 put out only 350 amps after 2 minutes.
The new SR48400 puts out 400 amps after 5 minutes
The new SR48500 puts out 575 peak amps and 500 amps after 5 minutes
Pitifully, the old 600 had the same peak output as the new 400 after 5 minutes.

Easy to see why the SR48400 could be plenty of controller for a neighborhood, campground, daily cart. I've proved this to myself by running aftermarket motors on 300 and 400 XCT controls in our research fleet.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

well knowing myself I would be looking for a new motor with even more speed and torque after I get a controller installed, so with that being said do you still recommend going to the 400 amp or the small upgrade to the 500?

also what would be the next step the motor upgrade ?
Old 02-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For the big aftermarket motors, steep hills, 4 passengers, and bragging rights the XCT500 may be the way to go. It can be de-tuned to 400 specs for your stock motor now.
I was thrown off by the request to save money. The adequate 400 is about $100 less.
I see now the original request is just a common reference to 'not pay more than I must'.
Most of the forum users trend toward the bigger is better philosophy no matter what the subject is.
The controller performance stats are above.

This is just one opinion based upon countless upgrades.
Other's opinions will differ
Old 02-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldair View Post
well knowing myself I would be looking for a new motor with even more speed and torque after I get a controller installed, so with that being said do you still recommend going to the 400 amp or the small upgrade to the 500?

also what would be the next step the motor upgrade ?
Don't forget, lithium is a valid option.... a 400amp controller on 57V in a cart weighing 300lbs less on lithium is a heck of a machine.

I'm running a XCT300 (350 max amps) controller on 57v in my cart and the biggest momentary draw I've seen thus far in my logs was 289 amps. FWIW, I live in flat Florida so if you are racing up Everest you'll pull heavier amp loads.

In my TXT48 with bigger tires I have the speed turned down. I have the three position personality switch that Scotty offers and in 'daddy mode' it'll pop wheelies and I have it limited to 30mph. But that's really too much for my tasts so the cart basically lives in 'mommy mode' which will not pull wheelies and is limited to 26mph. I also have a 'kiddie mode' which I need to readjust. After I reprogrammed it last it'll reach 22 which is a tad fast.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO