lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default came accross a PCX-954... but something is wrong

Hello everyone! Thanks for the add. I've been reading all I can from your posts, but I still think I need advice. I will attach all the pics I have.

What I have:
A 36V EZ-GO, 1996 (if I read manufacturer code G0296 right )PCX-954 (tag says PC-954...?) personnel carrier.
Powered by six 6V deep cycle batteries, 1 Year Old (supposedly)
GE D-C Motor MODEL 5BC48JB870, 2800 RPM, 36V/55AMP, 2 HP. Wound Series.
Controlled by a Curtis 1205-112, 24V/36V 400AMP
White Rodgers Solenoid, part 586-117111, 200AMP continuous, 600AMP peak. (1 year old, allegedly)
Total Charge III charger. (old. I'm re-spraying the shell and replacing the connector end)
The Technician's Repair and Service Manual
A Service Parts Manual.

My main problem:
It's too dang SLOW! It's barely OK on flat ground, no stopping it on slightest decline, but the SLIGHTEST incline it comes to a crawl, and that's with just me on it (6'3'', 210lbs). Batteries are fully charged.

My first thought was maybe the solenoid was not big enough, but nope. NOW I'm thinking this motor is just a huge piece of crap?!? Even if that was the case though, would they really put a motor that is incapable of tackling a .001% incline on a people mover? from what I gathered the motor either works or it doesn't. not half way like this..

Anyway. Where do I start testing for a problem like this? Everything seems to work, just VERY SLOWLY. The solenoid clicks after pressing the pedal, I need to get about halfway down before it starts to move. Either forward or backwards.

Please ask me for whatever info you need. I will answer if I can, I need direction and guidance from the wise ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmartSelect_20200301-144612_Facebook.jpg (171.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200304_145908.jpg (208.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_144207.jpg (203.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_143913.jpg (197.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_143815.jpg (218.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mfinnegan; 03-06-2020 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: clairification
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: came accross a PCX-954... but something is wrong

Somebody may have downsized the motor in this cart... 2.5 hp was normal for a standard cart of that era...
My friend has one of these, First thing I did was put an Alltrax 400 in it and 2 more 6v batteries for 48v. That helped a lot, it's not fast by any standard but it can get up and down his hilly property ok
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I Think I should just drop in a new motor. What's a good cheap plug and play motor you'd recommend?
Old 03-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Unfortunately A bigger motor will not perform well with the stock controller and 36v batteries. Do some more research. Read this > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
Old 03-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You said your batteries were fully charged, but what was the V of the pack while it was slowing down? If the batteries are not cared for they can die prematurely so it may be true that they are 1 year old and it may also be true that they are done for... If the V drops too much then the batteries are shot and no matter what other components you replace it'll still drag horribly on hills.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So to clarify. You suggested someone downgraded this motor to a 2HP. And I want to go back to stock-ish stats. And you're saying I cant? Because the stock controller which should be for a larger motor, cant handle it?
Old 03-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
You said your batteries were fully charged, but what was the V of the pack while it was slowing down? If the batteries are not cared for they can die prematurely so it may be true that they are 1 year old and it may also be true that they are done for... If the V drops too much then the batteries are shot and no matter what other components you replace it'll still drag horribly on hills.

I'll have to ride with someone to monitor the meter. I'll get back to you!
Old 03-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now the thing just stopped in the middle of the street when I switched from F to R. No clicking in the solenoid 🤦🤦🤦 I guess a motor/ solenoid/controller kit is in my future
Old 03-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Somebody may have downsized the motor in this cart... 2.5 hp was normal for a standard cart of that era...
My friend has one of these, First thing I did was put an Alltrax 400 in it and 2 more 6v batteries for 48v. That helped a lot, it's not fast by any standard but it can get up and down his hilly property ok
Do some research. I said MAY HAVE based upon the stock cart having a 2.5 motor. I said may have because I'm not sure what motor was in it originally and 2 hp seemed small for this size vehicle.
Most people who upgrade a motor go for 5-10 hp more not .5 so yeah a big motor would not perform exceptionally well with the 275 amp controller.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Understood, Scotty. You said "MAY HAVE" gotten swapped, and you also SAID at least 2.5 was standard. I don't want 10 more HP. I want to be able to at least not look and feel like its gonna die on a slight SLIGHT incline. I know this is big. and not a speed machine. But I'm having a hard time this was seriously engineered and mass produced to go 5 mph and die on less than a percent grade increase. If you dont have any guidance on what and how to test, then please just dont respond if you're just gonna say do research. There is literally almost no info on these carts. Some good stuff here just not complete.

Tags
36v, curtis controller, ezgo, pcx-954, project
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO