lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default 05 EZGO TXTPDS Electrical Issue

First post - hi from my garage corona outbreak project!

I bought an 05 EXGO txtpds yesterday that is not running. When initially troubleshooting I found the solenoid was not engaging regardless of what I did. I am showing 0v going to the two control posts. I have good battery voltage, voltage through my reed switch and my direction sensors, but have no voltage through my ignition.

My concern is, if I measure at the pins on J1 from the diagram where the output pins from the controller are, I’m not getting any volts from the controller to even go through the key switch. Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8BCC66E5-8587-4958-AE39-004FCE7CDA1A.jpg (16.3 KB, 0 views)
ThatSloanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 05 EZGO TXTPDS Electrical Issue

Also to add to this, I read online that my controller input B+ to B- should be full voltage, but thi can’t be true since my solenoid isn’t closing in. Right?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Concentrate efforts on getting 36v between the 2 small solenoid posts when the gas is depressed.

If yes and no click replace the solenoid. If no, use the meter to find if you are missing the + or - side of the circuit.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Concentrate efforts on getting 36v between the 2 small solenoid posts when the gas is depressed.

If yes and no click replace the solenoid. If no, use the meter to find if you are missing the + or - side of the circuit.
I’m not getting either side of the circuit which is why I went to check things like the reeder switch and the key switch. I get continuity through the circuit running through my ignition key switch, however don’t measure any voltage on the pins going to it. What voltage is the logic voltage on this controller?

My current thought process is that it has to be something to both circuits, which would be the key, forward reverse, and the controller.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is a drawing showing the single voltage path from B+ at battery pack through multiple switches and multiple times through the controller getting to and from those switches, ending up at the solenoid's small terminal with the yellow wire on it.

Also attached is a picture of a PDS controller with Pin-1 on all 5 jacks highlighted as well as a larger version of the schematic you posted.

If battery pack voltage isn't getting to the keyswitch, make sure it is being forwarded to the controller by the F/R switch. Return is J1 Pin-3 in F or J1 Pin-2 in R. From either one of those pins, it goes through the controller to J1 Pin-9 to the keyswitch and back in the controller on J1 Pin-8.. Then it is forwarded to J1 Pin-7 to the solenoid's coil via the yellow wire.

----------
After you get the solenoid to click when pedal is pushed, the voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals should be battery pack voltage after the solenoid click and if there is a precharge resistor installed, a few volts less than full pack voltage before it clicks.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

I found a troubleshooting guide for this model of controller and am not getting any voltage to J4- Pin 2.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

To clarify..

At my solenoid on my two control post:
With one lead referencing battery pack negative, I show 36v on both terminals connected to the blue and yellow wire as well as their output from the controller.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSloanGuy View Post
To clarify..

At my solenoid on my two control post:
With one lead referencing battery pack negative, I show 36v on both terminals connected to the blue and yellow wire as well as their output from the controller.
Good. Now you have voltage to the solenoid coil (yellow wire) and it is also going through the coil to the blue wire, which suggest the coil is intact.

To get the solenoid to energize, the blue wire has to be connected to B- to complete the circuit. This is done by the main coil driver, which is triggered when the pedal is pushed, placing battery voltage on J4 Pin-1.

Quote:
I found a troubleshooting guide for this model of controller and am not getting any voltage to J4- Pin 2.
Since J4 Pin-2 is the voltage source for J4 Pin-1, the main coil driver isn't going to be triggered when pedal is pushed and solenoid will not be energized.

Since there is pack voltage on the yellow wire to the solenoid coil, it should also appear at J4 Pin-2. Might be a bad plug/jack connection, or it could be a bad connection inside controller.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

After rechecking everything and running through the circuit I now have voltage at J4 Pin 1, but still no cool picking up. Is there anything else I can do besides fixing internal components on the controller?
Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
After rechecking everything and running through the circuit I now have voltage at J4 Pin 1, but still no cool picking up. Is there anything else I can do besides fixing internal components on the controller?
Replace the stock PDS controller with an user programmable Alltrax XCT48400-PDS controller and have cart that will do up to about 24MPH with a 36V battery pack on 18" tall tires, and faster at 42V or 48V.

Tags
controller, solenoid, txt, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO