lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Wannabee
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 EZGO - Removing Armature

I have a 95 EZGo that I picked up in really rough shape. I did a quick test of the motor and found it didn't work so I took it off and am trying to disassemble it. The motor is a D&D motor # 170-006-0001. I called D&D and they said the armature is pressed into the bearing in the cover. He said I should just be able to remove the cover but that's not happening. I don't have a press so I'm not sure what another option is. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20200331_085446.jpg (94.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20200331_085449.jpg (129.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20200331_085515.jpg (127.0 KB, 0 views)
Wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 EZGO - Removing Armature

obviously you can see the bearing.....if you have a pair of saw horses, put a couple of 2x4's between them as close as you can and suspend the armature by the bearing cover. its now hanging by the bearing. this is where you should have someone help. first I would get some cushions of some sort just to be safe and put them below the armature. with someone holding onto the armature, using a socket/extension that will fit into the hole above the bearing....tap the bearing/armature until its out of the housing.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

May want to spray some anti seize in there and let it soak a bit.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

that's interesting. i just rebuilt the motor on my '96 EZGO (GE motor though, so i'm not comparing). Where you have those 2 tiny holes on the sides of the bearing, i had 3 tiny screws that connect to a big washer behind the bearing to hold it to the top. I took those off and the armature dropped right out. Major pain in the butt to put that back together! Holy crap.

Nuke has a great idea for your press fit situation though!
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Wannabee
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I've been soaking it now for a couple of days with PB Blaster. I didn't want to bang on it too much initially for fear of screwing it up but one way or other, it needs to come out!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Wannabee
Not Yet Wild

BTW mfinnegan, I saw a video somewhere of someone reassembling the the type of motor you have. He put a towel in between the cap and the body of the motor and had it in there far enough to temporarily hold that plate in place while he got the screws started. Once he had the screws started, he pulled the towel out and then tightened them the rest of the way. Seemed like a really smart way to do it.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
BTW mfinnegan, I saw a video somewhere of someone reassembling the the type of motor you have. He put a towel in between the cap and the body of the motor and had it in there far enough to temporarily hold that plate in place while he got the screws started. Once he had the screws started, he pulled the towel out and then tightened them the rest of the way. Seemed like a really smart way to do it.
Lol I tried that! I saw that video. The way mine goes together would not allow it! I have large vented openings on mine so I was able to have it upside down and shine a light in, using a paperclip I was able to line up the washer. It only took me 20 mins but felt like forever. Also I suggest you keep the brush springs on when putting back together. I can send a pic to show you what I mean. These guys using screwdrivers and pliers to put them back on after the armature is in makes me laugh
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
Wannabee
Not Yet Wild

OK, got the armature out, cleaned it up and reassembled. Looks good. Now I would like to bench test it. Is this the correct hook up for this series motor
Connect S1 to A2
A1 to battery negative
S2 to battery positive

Thanks
Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I believe you are correct.

In Cart Testing of Series Motor.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
rib33024

Yes that is the right wiring for a series motor. The motor needs to be bolted to the rear end before you test the motor
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO