lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
gussatterwhite
Not Yet Wild

Default My GC is worn out and tired

Okay.. after using my marathon last year i had decided that i need to give it a helping have to make it look better and give it some more ***.. we camp every weekend and thebcampground is in the mountains so the ground is far from flat with lots of bigger hills (1mile ride up hill to my site). So i re did all the cables and did new batterys thinking that would fix the problem but if anything might have made it worse..i can literally walk up the hill faster then the cart..

So my question is.. what do i do?
Do i do a new motor with controller leave it 36v? Or do i do a full conversion over to 48v with new everything?

Everything i read is just all over the place.. im fine with spending some money as long as it fixes my issue. I bought the cart not knowing alot about carts, but o have some common sense to know that it is worn out and tired..
gussatterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: My GC is worn out and tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussatterwhite View Post
Okay.. after using my marathon last year i had decided that i need to give it a helping have to make it look better and give it some more ***.. we camp every weekend and thebcampground is in the mountains so the ground is far from flat with lots of bigger hills (1mile ride up hill to my site). So i re did all the cables and did new batterys thinking that would fix the problem but if anything might have made it worse..i can literally walk up the hill faster then the cart..

So my question is.. what do i do?
Do i do a new motor with controller leave it 36v? Or do i do a full conversion over to 48v with new everything?

Everything i read is just all over the place.. im fine with spending some money as long as it fixes my issue. I bought the cart not knowing alot about carts, but o have some common sense to know that it is worn out and tired..
Don't draw the conclusion that your cart is worn out simply because it is slow on hill (you may not be and it may very well be). As the electric motor on the cart slows, it pulls more amps and builds torque akin to what what happens in a truck with a manual transmission when you shift to low (or super low) going up a steep hill. With an electric motor, this process is Automatic. The cart HAS to slow to build torque, you are swapping speed for torque and that is the way the cart was designed.

Granted, at some point/speed the motor can pull TOO MANY amps and become problematic. However, I have seen far too many people think there was a problem with their cart because it slowed substantially on a hill. Of course you can make that go away with a bigger motor and controller and lots of $$$.

In terms of converting the cart, I am assuming you have a 36v resistor cart. If that is the case I would not upgrade unless you are just looking for a project. I am a big fan of leaving old stuff stock and just spending the money on buying something that already has or is made for the new stuff. Especially if the cart appearance is already rough.

If you go 48v, you obviously will have to buy a whole new set of batteries and charger, with tax you are already investing close to (if not exceeding) $1000 to start retrofitting old stuff to new.

If it were me, I would look at buying a used 36v PDS and speeding it up. You could use your current batteries in that and if the PDS batteries have any life, you could put them in the Marathon and sell it and recover a little bit of your cost.

If you want a 48v, you could buy just buy a used 48v.

If you really want power on the hills, buy a 2012.5 or newer EZGO RXV which likely can do everything you need without any hardware upgrades. 2013 RXV's here in Central AL sell for around $2,500 with decent used batteries.

Of course there are some good points that can me made FOR doing the upgrade, but I will let others present that option since it is not one of which I am not a fan
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
gussatterwhite
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
Don't draw the conclusion that your cart is worn out simply because it is slow on hill (you may not be and it may very well be). As the electric motor on the cart slows, it pulls more amps and builds torque akin to what what happens in a truck with a manual transmission when you shift to low (or super low) going up a steep hill. With an electric motor, this process is Automatic. The cart HAS to slow to build torque, you are swapping speed for torque and that is the way the cart was designed.

Granted, at some point/speed the motor can pull TOO MANY amps and become problematic. However, I have seen far too many people think there was a problem with their cart because it slowed substantially on a hill. Of course you can make that go away with a bigger motor and controller and lots of $$$.

In terms of converting the cart, I am assuming you have a 36v resistor cart. If that is the case I would not upgrade unless you are just looking for a project. I am a big fan of leaving old stuff stock and just spending the money on buying something that already has or is made for the new stuff. Especially if the cart appearance is already rough.

If you go 48v, you obviously will have to buy a whole new set of batteries and charger, with tax you are already investing close to (if not exceeding) $1000 to start retrofitting old stuff to new.

If it were me, I would look at buying a used 36v PDS and speeding it up. You could use your current batteries in that and if the PDS batteries have any life, you could put them in the Marathon and sell it and recover a little bit of your cost.

If you want a 48v, you could buy just buy a used 48v.

If you really want power on the hills, buy a 2012.5 or newer EZGO RXV which likely can do everything you need without any hardware upgrades. 2013 RXV's here in Central AL sell for around $2,500 with decent used batteries.

Of course there are some good points that can me made FOR doing the upgrade, but I will let others present that option since it is not one of which I am not a fan

Yes i understand that it loses speed on a incline but this is just wayyyyyy to slow for that other older carts literally fly past me and when i say i can walk faster thats not any joke.. i dont mide spending the money on this cart i like to be differnt and i prefer the look of the ikder carts.. and i dont want to be like everyone else here at the camp ground.. i have right at $1700 to do what i need to do..
gussatterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussatterwhite View Post
Yes i understand that it loses speed on a incline but this is just wayyyyyy to slow for that other older carts literally fly past me and when i say i can walk faster thats not any joke.. i dont mide spending the money on this cart i like to be differnt and i prefer the look of the ikder carts.. and i dont want to be like everyone else here at the camp ground.. i have right at $1700 to do what i need to do..
I am sure you can upgrade the cart to a more powerful 36v cart under $1,700. I am not sure you can make it to 48v under $1,7000 as you are going to be around $1000 just for new batteries and charger. Scottie B here can help you with those upgrades, he has the products and knowledge to make it happen.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There are also motors to replace using a stock setup. This is just one I'm aware of. Their page lists @$600.00

https://plumquick.com/custom-built-m...orcerer-ez-go/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pqs.jpg (75.2 KB, 0 views)
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Really you need to see where the problem is.

First thing is to check those new batteries. Could be bad batteries or could be bad charger or something else. The very first thing to do when dealing with a poorly performing cart is to hook your voltmeter to the battery pack and identify the full pack voltage before doing anything, then the full voltage when the cart is having the issue. That will prove/disprove the health of the batteries/charger and point where to go next.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO