lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default FSIP Quality gone downhill. EZ RXV 2012 controller issues.

I should start refusing jobs when it begins with 'I tried to wire a radio and reducer and cut into the harness now car won't go anymore' from now on if it involves an RXV. What a time sink.

We lost a day at work because of one of these hack jobs. Obviously controller shot. Danaher variant, codes for AC shorts, DC Bus Low, Throttle Error, Brake failure, and Motor Temp Sensor error.

Saw the hacked harness (I've never seen so many splices in my life!) and considered that EOL and removed it, and since we had a spare new one in stock, installed it and I pulled one of our rebuilt FSIP controllers.

I also replaced both pedal encoders and speed sensor (2012 they started using the inductive speed sensor vs. encoder bearing). The brake was fine and with the fried old controller it would still release in TOW and N.

This controller shows a DC Bus Low Software Detected error. Normally this is a failure in the 5V side or a problem with the resistor control module. But all our rebuilds have a new RCM paired and supplied with them. Removing B- from it changes nothing. Also noticed the throttle volts in the handheld is showing an abnormally low reading of 0.18V for both it and the brake sensor. The switches appear to work (micro switches) and open and close with movement, but the voltage reading only varies .01 each way.

Second FSIP controller, and a new solenoid since that can also cause the error. This one doesn't show a DC bus low, but it shows 'Throttle Error' instead. Same abnormally low reading on both brake and throttle sensors at 0.18 volts.

Third controller, and I'm about to have lunch. No faults, no errors, no warnings. But same low readings. Car will do the full POST now, with twist test and act ready to go. But nothing happens with hitting the go pedal.

I took the handheld to a working 2009 car we got for sale, and it shows the throttle sensor reading at rest at 0.40 +/- .02V. Brake shows something else (can't remember atm). That car runs. I suggest taking that car's controller off and placing it on the broken one since everything short of the motor and brake at this point is brand new. We got no other working spares in stock and no other Danaher cars around that run. But by this time the day is over and I got a headache.

My advice is NEVER get involved in ANY work on an RXV that's been hacked or attempted to tap into the harness. The diagnostic manual has you chasing your tail for things unrelated to the actual problem or suggest replacing parts that are never the actual problem in the first place (RCM, solenoid, speed sensor, controller, etc).

Also, Whatever happened at FSIP has ended up where we get more dead rebuilt controllers than we get good anymore. The last RXV we went through three supposedly rebuilt ones that were bad before the fourth ended up being fine. Not sure what's going on there. Does anyone have a better recommendation for a rebuild company?
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: FSIP Quality gone downhill. EZ RXV 2012 controller issues.

The correct term is repaired. Rebuild implies a list of wear components were replaced to make as new... like a rebuilt motor or pump. I'm sure you know these failed controls are patched together and sent back out and yes, failures are the norm not the exception. Just wanted to put it out there for every newbie that there is no such thing as a rebuilt controller.
After several failures I asked our supplier (FSIP) to send me a list of the components that are replaced when rebuilding a speed controller... and they said this >
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Our customers are so cheap they refuse to spend the money on what EZGO charges for a replacement controller that's brand new. If that weren't the case we wouldn't even bother with FSIP. But now it's becoming a major headache.

This makes the third RXV someone attempted to splice into the harness for a radio or light kit.

I truly am getting sick of golf carts anyway. They're getting too complicated for their own good. I started working on Marathons and electric Melex/Harley Davidson stuff from the 60's and 70's and those things are dead simple. If it were possible I'd go back to that in a heartbeat. I hate modern golf cars. (and modern automobiles.) The costs seem to greatly outweigh the benefits. Especially when customers won't spend more than $100 for us to fix THEIR mistake.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
I should start refusing jobs when it begins with 'I tried to wire a radio and reducer and cut into the harness now car won't go anymore'
Snip

Yep, summed up my 9-5 right there. Couldnt condense it better for any brand. If I take that job, I go with "full banana quote, and it might be cheaper if you didnt destroy $1500".

How much money did they save by doing it themselves? And Im Sick of the cut throat "rebuilders". And they act like I'm "robbing them".

I dont rip people off, but they sure act like I do when it's time to pay up for botched stuff.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The biggest problem is they DID NOT use the internal 5V power supply for the sensors/encoders when testing controllers on the bench, so the controllers will still pass all tests, even when the 5V supply is toast. Their test bench supplies the voltages that simulates those inputs. If it means anything, it should be a problem of the past. They will no longer accept controllers as cores that have had 48V shorted to the 5V by idiots messing with the RXV harnesses. The damage to the controllers is too extensive to be cost effective to repair. All sorts of random damage.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I told the boss that it would help if FSIP had a way to put every controller in a GOLF CAR to do a real load test and test drive. I can bench test a Club Car Precedent controller from the IQ system and have it pass but fail in a cart.

But seriously we have been using FSIP for years and the last two years quality control has dropped quite a bit.

I haven't tried opening one up yet. I am sure I could spot a baked or cremated FET or capacitor, but finding a source for those, and hoping something else isn't shorted that would release the smoke from the new parts plus time doesn't make the difference up.

Boss seems intent on taking any job in no matter how unprofitable it would be to attempt--she's dead set on pleasing everyone at any cost.

The worst thing is customers are getting cheaper and cheaper. They blame us for the price. We always call before going in with any repair. They say "do whatever it takes" but once they get the bill for $1500+ they go "what you mean it cost that much?! Should have went to Amazon and done it myself!!! What a ripoff!"

Well, if they could have done it themselves why come to us AFTER you screwed up?! hmmm?

When it was just Marathons with resistor control or ancient Caroches, the most expensive component was the motor. Even that doesn't anger most customers like a new RXV controller does.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO