lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Upgradeing solenoid to what when upgrading controller

I recently bought a 2001 Ez-go pds txt 36v that I am upgrading the controller to a Alltrax 400 DCX; however, my question is what is the best option of upgrading the solenoid or is it best to remain stock? (motor is stock, hence why I am going with the 400 instead of the 5-600 DCX controller.)

Also, would be be best that I go with a DCX-300 instead since I only have a stock motor? I have no plans to upgrade the motor at this point.

I would like to install a meter as well. What are the best options? (batteries are Trojan T-105)

Thank You for your ideas and input!
Perry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgradeing solenoid to what when upgrading controller

Use a 200 amp continuous / 800a peak solenoid with that control. Good price (pkg 80 with resistor and diode here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

Upgrade cables to 4g for best results.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry007 View Post
1. I recently bought a 2001 Ez-go pds txt 36v that I am upgrading the controller to a Alltrax 400 DCX; however, my question is what is the best option of upgrading the solenoid or is it best to remain stock? (motor is stock, hence why I am going with the 400 instead of the 5-600 DCX controller.)

2. Also, would be be best that I go with a DCX-300 instead since I only have a stock motor? I have no plans to upgrade the motor at this point.

3. I would like to install a meter as well. What are the best options? (batteries are Trojan T-105)

Thank You for your ideas and input!
1. What Scotty recommended (the 808 kit). The stock solenoid is only has 85A contacts and is marginal for a stock controller.

2. The DCX400 will give you about 1/3 more low end torque. A PDS with a DCX400 is pretty wicked at 36V.

3. I use the one Scotty sells with a custom panel for key and F/R switches and meter. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

I connected mine directly to battery pack and it's been running 24/7 for over three years without an issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVM meter and Panel.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank You Scotty and Johnnie!

Which would the most wise...

Getting the 200a/800a or 400a/1000a solenoid?

I think I might upgrade the motor eventually, just not in the next few years. (currently has an Advanced - AU2500 FLT SPD 03/20/2007)

I guess the question becomes, what is the potential downfall of running the 400a/1000a on a stock motor with a DCX400?

Yes I am a newbie and thankful for this forum (will continue to donate as well! as this is cheaper than the local shop! I think wiser as well!!)
Old 12-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry007 View Post
Thank You Scotty and Johnnie!

Which would the most wise...

Getting the 200a/800a or 400a/1000a solenoid?

I think I might upgrade the motor eventually, just not in the next few years. (currently has an Advanced - AU2500 FLT SPD 03/20/2007)

I guess the question becomes, what is the potential downfall of running the 400a/1000a on a stock motor with a DCX400?

Yes I am a newbie and thankful for this forum (will continue to donate as well! as this is cheaper than the local shop! I think wiser as well!!)
There is no downfall, other than sightly higher initial cost, but there may be future cost savings will more than offset the higher initial cost.

I originally ran a DCX400 with a 400/1000A solenoid and a stock PDS motor.
Going bigger on the solenoid doesn't hurt anything, while going smaller can create a choke point in the amp flow to the motor.

Either the 200A or the 400A will suffice with a 400A controller, but the 200A solenoid is voltage specific while the 400A solenoid works at 36V, 42V and 48V. If there is the slightest possibility you may up the pack voltage at some time in the future, the 400A solenoid is the one to buy.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank You Johnnie! I am waiting on Scotty to get back with me. I plan to order his 400/1000a solenoid, but the wording of the listing makes me think I need to order the diode and want it all at once and not waiting on parts to trickle in for install!

...and for people looking and wanting to know Scotty has the best overall price by almost $5.

***Edit - but he is closed till Jan 2 so it looks like I will be ordering elsewhere, sadly time is more important right now!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The listing says every solenoid includes resistor and diode
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001 ez go txt 36v, alltrax 400, pds controller, soleniod
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO