lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
Dramier
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bad boy buggy problem shifting out of 4 wheel drive

I'm going to chime in here..

Due to the problems currently happening between us and BBB I'm not going to specify where I'm at or what dealership I represent. For now I would also say that everything I'm going to say here is "personal opinion" and not an official statement since I don't have the authorization to make any such statement. So this is basically a "front lines" view from a technician, not a vehicle owner.

First I'm going to explain a few things. I'm a service tech at an EZGO dealership, and I have worked on nearly every type of BBB in existence, and I've fixed 99% of them. The ONLY BBB's I've been unable to repair are the Ambush's with actuators.

Here's the deal with how these systems work. There are two separate actuator systems used in the Ambush line. The earlier vehicles use an actuator from Duff Norton called the LT-50-2. It's a 24V potentiometer measured 50mm stroke actuator. The earlier vehicles use a controller called the "Bobby box" which is mounted underneath the dash above the controller for the vehicle. It handles moving the actuator and setting the rear end in forward, neutral or reverse.

The newer vehicles use a different setup that uses the same actuator with a different pigtail. They have a controller called the TCM which is mounted behind the actuator in the rear of the cart.

The difference is the earlier bobby box carts have to be calibrated using the vehicle itself. The newer carts can be calibrated using a handheld programmer connected to the diagnostic ports. I would point out that the fact that the TCM is relocated to a much easier to reach location behind the actuator might indicate somebody wanted the entire system accessible. Make of that what you will.

What happens is the actuator loses full range of motion and fails to fully engage the rear end differential in forward or reverse or even both. Replacement of the actuator will fix the problem only if the actuator has a full range of motion. I know for sure what the problem is in the system and have brought it to BBB's attention. I can't say more than this because I have to give them the opportunity to respond to it.

There is a bias plate underneath the shifter connection on the rear end, but in my experience adjusting it simply leads to making a vehicle which fails to reach forward able to get to forward but fail to reach reverse. Again, this indicates a range of motion issue with the actuator.

The reason some vehicles can be fixed and some not is due to whether or not that actuator has a full range of motion out of the box.

I would highly, highly suggest that all of you having actuator problems form a group, get all of your names and emails together and as a unit start hounding BBB for a solution. I am currently extremely disappointed in BBB's support, but I can tell you a big part of that is they don't have very many tech support guys that have alot of experience with these carts.

I will update this as the situation continues, but just keep in mind I have to temper what I say because of the EZGO dealership relationship. You can privately message me and I will be happy to tell you how I really feel on a personal level.

Last thing, it pisses me off to no end to hear a BBB rep saying dealerships aren't qualified or aren't trying or aren't trained. I bust my rear trying to help my customers, and most of the time I get little to no support from BBB with issues and have to figure it out on my own. Other dealerships and techs call me for help with BBB's because of this experience. EZGO tech support for the EZGO line is top notch for EZGO's. They have never failed to help me in any situation and have always been excellent. It's only when dealing with BBB vehicles that everything falls apart.

If you have an issue with your BBB, feel free to reach out to me and I'll do my best to assist you.

Just posting this message is probably going to ruffle some feathers because I have no doubt that BBB/EZGO will be able to guess who I am relatively easily. But if that's what it takes to get an "official" response, then that's what I do. We believe customers come first.

I will also say that as a technician, believe me when I say that you the owners of these vehicles are not alone in your frustration. As a technician I can only apologize to you and say that at least some of us are doing everything in our power to try and help.
Dramier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
wesleycox
Not Yet Wild

Dramier I was reading this thread and was about to ask you to add your 2 cents, looks like you beat me to it!
wesleycox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #23
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is insane reading these posts!!! Not even the fake accounts frim corporate trying to do damage control and tell how good their BBB is and non " of their freinds have a problem either"

No wonder so many folks want to build an off road golf cart if this is the track record BBB is developing!

These can't be the only 6 or so people on the Internet or country with these problems. Think how many your not hearing about!
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Here's a link to anyone who's looking for that bobby box adjustment. If you need manuals, service guides, etc. PM me directly. Ill get you all what I have.

I've been a BBB dealer since Textron took them in 09/2010. We just dropped them due to continuing lack of support from them directly, 0 to very little profit, but most important to us anyway, our customers weren't happy with the product, and BBBs new direction, them entering powersports and the ATV line.

I'm beyond burnt out today, so bare with me, but off that bobby box is a silver plate, the original model Ambushs, check to see if where the box enters that plate, if it's worn out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bobby Box Ambush-shifter adjust.pdf (53.8 KB, 0 views)
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
FF Titus
Gone Wild

If anyone is complaining about their lights going out, we ordered one of the 1st Ambush iS models, and found under the hood, the controllers plug was soaked in water, causing the vehicle to randomly cut out, lights off and on alot, etc. water was running down the windshield, into the cowl. A junk rubber matt off a junk golf car solved the problem by covering the controller and protecting the controller from water. A CCTR form was filled out, but who knows where that went.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #26
erkme73
Not Yet Wild

A big thank you to @dramier and @FF Titus. This is exactly the kind of self-support group that owners of the Ambush iS need.

I apologize to all for not getting back with the latest update on my saga.

Advantage Golf Carts in Orlando kept my buggy for 7 months. According to BBB, their service guy is THE expert for the whole state, and other dealerships send their techs to him to get factory training.

In any case, they ended replacing the entire rear end, and extending my factory warranty another 7 months - which has officially expired in May.

It has worked great ever since. No noises, no gremlins. And most importantly, I can go through puddles and wet grass without it becoming possessed or leaving me stranded.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #27
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I happen to know the people at Advantage and I can assure you, they are the best I have ever seen at working on the BBB line. I actually did my BBB training at that location back in 2014 and the guys they have there are more than willing to assist in whatever way they can.....

That being said......

BBB has always had terrible support after the fact. I know of 3 different companies that sold and serviced them prior to EZGO taking ownership of the company and the biggest complaint was the fact that there was zero support from the company for tech issues. Since EZGO took ownership, they have been trying to get techs up to speed to support the product line, but unfortunately the engineers made such huge changes that the techs are having a hard time keeping up. The fact they are now stepping into the SXS and ATV market is laughable as the people that are currently trying to support the existing line are by no means trained to work on these classes of vehicles for the most part.

I too have many of the manuals in digital format for their products and would be more than willing to share them as needed.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #28
erkme73
Not Yet Wild

Yes, and the feeling I had from talking/emailing with the tech was that much of my 7-month delay had to do with waiting on BBB to get the right parts, tools, and support to them.

One thing I did notice on my last outing with the Ambush is that if the rear end gets too wet - say driving through 10-12" of water, the rear (belt?) drive seems to slip. The engine revs, but the wheels are barely turning. I don't know if that's just the way these things are designed, or if I still have an unresolved issue. Avoiding anything other that shallow puddles means I can avoid that - but it would be nice to able to hang with other ATV/UTVs and not have to treat it like a princess...
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #29
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unfortunately, belt slippage will be an issue. That's why ATV and SXS manufacturers have enclosed their belt in water resistant enclosures. There is no fix for that on a gas powered cart as the belt and clutches are exposed. On the positive side, you have the ability to switch to 4x4 and pull out using the electric motor on the front and the belt/clutches will dry out faster than the sxs and atv setup (unfortunately you will also burn belts doing that pretty fast).
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #30
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Yes, and the feeling I had from talking/emailing with the tech was that much of my 7-month delay had to do with waiting on BBB to get the right parts, tools, and support to them.

One thing I did notice on my last outing with the Ambush is that if the rear end gets too wet - say driving through 10-12" of water, the rear (belt?) drive seems to slip. The engine revs, but the wheels are barely turning. I don't know if that's just the way these things are designed, or if I still have an unresolved issue. Avoiding anything other that shallow puddles means I can avoid that - but it would be nice to able to hang with other ATV/UTVs and not have to treat it like a princess...
lol I remember those Avitas (sp) controllers on the original BBBs. I had to call a high up at ezgo/BBB and he had the handheld in his desk he could send me, claimed it was only one of two in the USA and he needed it back right away as so many other dealers needed it too.

Needless to say, the problems are across the board, they don't know up from down in the power sports market. Sales reps are X Polaris reps or another brand who crossed over, most leave or transfer to a diff dept within the 1st year.

When BBB approached us with the new ATV, I remember them driving it up here from DC and bragging about the Onslaught the entire time. QC passed, it's great, all that. Found within a minute three bolts missing, something loose, and something cracked right away. And we were the FIRST dealership to drive that model. No thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO