lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
johnalicia
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 ezgo 36v please help

I bought a ezgo a couple of days ago. When riding up hill its fine for 100 yards or so but then it begins to slow down like the batterys are going dead till you hear a click and it comes to a stop. Maybe 10 seconds later it has full power again. If still going up hill it will happen repeatedly. If you get back on level ground it will not do it again. I put new batteries on it so that is not the problem. I think something is getting to hot under a big load and it causes loss of power until it cools but not sure what. Can someone please help.

Thank you
johnalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
johnalicia
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1998 ezgo 36v please help

It is a Textron if this helps
Old 07-18-2016, 01:07 AM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Could be getting hot and overheats or you could be hitting the lower limit of the controller volts and ot shuts off till batteries recover to the voltage. We will need to see the voltages of the battery pack that's rested overnight after a charge and what the voltage is going up the Hitt when it shuts off. As well as battery voltages of each one will help as well.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
johnalicia
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply.
resting volts after charge is around 38.4v and 6.4v on each battery. up hill run around 35.5 to 36V (but this verys depend on amount of throttle have to give and will fall to around 35v if have to apply more) even when it slows when it finaly stop it shoots back to around 37v and then voltage begins to slowly clime. I can wait 5 maybe 10 sec. then will have power again. If I try to start again to soon it will slowly move a few feet and stall again but if I wait 10 to 15 sec I will have FULL POWER and can go 50 yrd give or take. The longer I wait the futher I can go before it repeats. If I immedatly get on a flat road after a stall and it will run fine. IF I stay on a flat road and never go up hill or taller grass it stay around 36 to 36.5 sometime hits 37v and hasn't slowed to a stop before.. sorry for being long winded
Old 07-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
johnalicia
Not Yet Wild

I also was wondering on the solenoid when the key is OFF is it normal to have38.4v on both of the big post of solenoid and the both small post read 7.0v. When the key is on all 4 post read 38.4v and thats before the pedal is pressed to engage solenoid. When you press petal just slightly you can hear solenoid click and volts remain 38.4. I test this with a volt meter using black lead to neg. battery post and red lead to post on solenoid. If this is NOT normal can this cause the issues im having.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnalicia View Post
It is a Textron if this helps
They are all Textron as that is the parent company. What matters is does your cart have a Run/Tow toggle switch on the controller cover under the passenger seat. If it has this switch you have a DCS cart, if not you have a Series cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I also was wondering on the solenoid when the key is OFF is it normal to have38.4v on both of the big post of solenoid and the both small post read 7.0v. When the key is on all 4 post read 38.4v and thats before the pedal is pressed to engage solenoid. When you press petal just slightly you can hear solenoid click and volts remain 38.4. I test this with a volt meter using black lead to neg. battery post and red lead to post on solenoid. If this is NOT normal can this cause the issues im having.
Yes the voltage on both big lugs is normal. It's there waiting to be connected to run the cart (in simple terms).
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Yes the voltage on both big lugs is normal. It's there waiting to be connected to run the cart (in simple terms).
No. this is not true.
If you are not sure please do not answer questions - it's misleading and unfair to the people who come here for qualified golf cart technicians to answer their questions.

With the key off, gas pedal up, there is pack (+) voltage present on both large solenoid contacts when a precharge resistor is installed or when the solenoid contacts have welded closed.
However it sounds like you are hearing a distinctive click when the cart stops under load. I'm guessing the click you hear is the solenoid disengaging or dropping out when the pack voltage is falling too far down to maintain the contactor coil activation.

Put a meter on the pack and go uphill - likely the batteries fall quite low in voltage under load and need to be replaced if old.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
No, it is not normal.

Assuming a pack voltage of 38.4V, with key off and pedal up, you should have 38.4V on the battery side large terminal and about 3V to 5V less, or roughly 33V to 35V, on the controller side large terminal.

Having the same voltage on both large terminal (with key off and pedal up) indicates welded solenoid contacts, and/or a defective controller.

-----------
Considering it is next to impossible to get a voltage reading on the small terminal with a single wire attached in a series drive, since it is directly connected to B- and the voltmeter is referenced to B-, I suspect you have a sepex drive (DCS cart) and DCS controllers are high failure items.

If you do have a DCS cart, and the controller is bad, replace it with an Alltrax XCT (or DCX) and be done with the DCS controller issues.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My mistake. I am sorry I see now. Yes that makes sense. I was thinking about something else. Delete it all if you want for clarity.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO