lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo txt rehab

Guys, cant say enough how appreciative I am for the help.

Yes, there is a plate in the driver's side cubby. It says 1.87 kw. The steering column has 3 bolts.

I just finished getting the body and cowl off of it. Took me a bit but Ive been trying to be careful and label anything I might need later. I don't know if there are identifying labels on the motor or controller, but when I get them cleaned up Ill check.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So, while Im wearing you guys out with questions, I was looking for a little advice on what else to remove.

As you can probably guess by the photos, that thing is a complete mess underneath. Not as much rust or corrosion as I would have assumed, but really filthy. Im thinking that while Ive got everything apart, I might as well not cut any corners and break the whole thing down. I was just looking at the controller/solenoid and the fr switch and trying to see the best way to remove them without having no idea how they go back together. I was thinking I would keep any wires attaching those parts together that I could, label all others, and pull the stuff out in sorta one piece. Sound OK?

Also, I guess I probably ought to pull the metal panel up from the floor board as well. Im assuming that box beneath the floor, inside that access panel, is the throttle regulater? Not sure of the terminology there. It doesnt look like something that should get wet, so I guess I better remove that as well before starting the frame cleanup?

Thanks

I probably should have posted this in my other thread Ive got going that is specific to the body removal. I couldnt see a way for me to do it. Sorry mods.

Last edited by orangeman6; 09-13-2016 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: should probably be in a different thread
Old 09-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

just depends on how picky you are. I wanted it done right, so took mine down as far as it would go. If it was removable, it came off and got cleaned, repainted, or replaced. I say strip her down and give it a proper rebuild!!

Here is my build thread. Also few pics of the mess I had below.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...pds-build.html

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart3.jpg

cart4.jpg

cart5.jpg
MattFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

since you are taking the body off....YES the best thing you can do is do it all!! then clean it all, and paint it too.....(I did mine by hand, with a brush....that way the finished product will end up with a thicker coating.

YES take the floorboard up....the ITS (throttle box) is there.

here's what mine looked like after a couple of hours....and it was the first cart I ever worked on.

Ready to clean 1.jpg

as you know, label EVERYTHING make drawings if you need/want to. for the wires, I used wire markers.....you clean the wires off and the connections they go in and each is numbered.....stick them on and when its time to connect it all back up....PIECE OF CAKE...just Plug-n-Chug.

wire-marker-books.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, so if the cart is really an 2001 it is an early one. '01 was a change over year. In mid 2001 they made a significant change to the steering system. You have the old style. Not necessarily bad but if you intend to rebuild front suspension or steering parts or lift it, the cart is considered "pre 2001.5" when ordering parts.
The standard motor for these carts was 1.49KW. Some carts, usually the shuttles, had the slightly hotter 1.87KW motor which likely included the 24-36v 400amp controller and a better solenoid. My shuttle was equipped this way and would run 17mph with the back seat and long roof. I can see where your cart being noticeably lighter could hit 18-20mph under optimum conditions. This is unusual for a series cart as most of them run 14-15 at best.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #16
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That cart really turned out nice. I saved your thread and will auger into it tonight.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright, I sure dont want to be the half a** guy in the group so I'll get the rest of it off. Nuke, Id been using white electrical tape and a sharpie but those labels look quicker. Thanks

Kernal, thanks for figuring that out, now I at least know what I have. As soon as I know what Im doing, Ill really have something. :lhmo

I dont plan on lifting it or doing anything to the suspension other than new shocks and bushings.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The factory Freedom carts from that time period also came with the 400 amp controller and the High Speed motor. As Kernal said, the Shuttles would go slightly slower due to heavier load, but the standard 2 and 4 passenger carts were designed for the "Freedom" model to do 19.5 straight from the factory at 36volts..... Bump it to 48 volts (while changing the solenoid) and it would easily hit mid 20's.

Kernal, not to get off topic, but most of the ones I dealt with (I was an EZGO factory employee at the time) the controllers were rated for 36-48 volts.
rabbitreborn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I would have loved that but mine was 24-36v. Said so right on the end of the controller. Had to get an Alltrax to go to 48v.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #20
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

orange-if you are gonna keep it-go all out....it looks like you have a special series cart,which is cool....

when i converted my series to all HD(thanks scotty)i picked up about 1-2 mph....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO