lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Talk me down from the MOT-A4

You guys understand that staying under 6000 rpms is not going to guarantee the motor's longevity any more than going over 6000 is going to cause it to cease to work, right. We can stay way under 6000 and pull steep hills slow with 4 fat guys on 23s and smoke any motor in a day.
Alot of common sense is needed.
I for one, don't know why there is not more emphasis on motor operating temperature. Have a great weekend
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
-snip-
I for one, don't know why there is not more emphasis on motor operating temperature. Have a great weekend
Bump!!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #13
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK, been doing a lot of research on the FSIP Torque motor, the AMD 7144 and the MOT-A4. All claim to be more torque and speed than stock, although the FSIP uses 14MPH as the stock baseline. Being the quantitative, analytical guy that I am, I would like to be able to compare HP and Torque curves or at least peak numbers at associated RPM.

FSIP claims 4kW which should equate to 5.3 ish HP @ 2450 RPM but using their torque chart and some basic math, I get about 11.7 at that RPM and 13HP at 2800. Which is correct?

To further muddy the waters, I've seen the AMD 7144 listed as 7.1HP at 5000RPM. The FSIP has dropped to 6.7 at only 3500 or so and the curve is still falling but the chart stops. There is almost zero data on the MOT. I have seen 12.3 and 14HP but neither from the manufacturer and no RPM data.

I need a drink!
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I think a call to their tech support is about the only place you will get all your answers. Obviously when they engineered it, they have all the curves and design parameters, so go right to the source as if they are worth their salt, they will give you all the details you need.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Historically true comparison has been difficult at best. The reason is there is no STANDARD method or range of measurements. Additionally specs can be presented in a way that appears to show different results from the same test.... much like a public pole. This may explain why the deeper you dig the muddier the water gets.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
...I need a drink!
X2

If you are an analytical type (I am) you're right this stuff will drive you crazy. At times it seems more like Voodoo magic then science. I would have thought given such old technology this should be a walk in the park. 100's of thousands of golf carts have been sold over the years and are daily commuters in many retirement area's. It's not like anyone is trying to build a Mars lunar rover.

I find it horrible to read up on these (speed, torque, speed&torque) motors where you need to upgrade the controller with an increase in torque of 10-50% and a max speed of low 20's only with real good batteries. If I spent a $1000 and got into the low 20's (what a speed magnet could do) and then only got a 10% torque boost I would be PO'ed.

About the smartest things I've seen to date is the use of a temp gauge ($15 temp unit) , and the development concept of an on the fly variable speed magnet enhancer. Both should be cheap, and give great value to the customer. Otherwise so much of this stuff is starting to sound like the weather channel. 50% chance of rain today. Partly cloudy. Partly sunny........

I totally understand the joy in hot rodding things. Pushing things to their limits can be a lot of fun in certain stages of one's life. At this point in my life I would need hard numbers, not dumb luck. I need to know what works in the flats of Florida will also work in the mountains of Colorado (OK Kentucky also, been schooled on that one even though I did know it.) I need to know if I take apart a perfectly working cart, I'm not buying trouble and further work with upgrades.

OK off my soap box. Going to have that drink now. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
On a ~30 degree incline with a gradient deviation of +or- 3% the A4 pulled right up the hill covering about 4 to 6 ft/sec with 4 people on the cart.
Thanks for sharing your experience. At 3-4 MPH I'll pass on the A4.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #18
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gregorio: I have been extremely happy my Executioner from PQ. If I had not replaced the transaxle with the 10.3, I would be spinning the tires on concrete. But, with the low weight of lithium and only a 400A controller, I can start at the botton of a 5° grade and reach 30mph easily. The only reason I have not ditched my Curtis 1268 for an XCT500 is $$. I have the programmer for the Curtis as well. The highest temp I have seen anywhere on the motor case in the FL summer heat is 117°. I don't have a gauge, I use the infrared unit.

There is my 2 cents from the peanut gallery
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Gary. I'd love to do a PQ motor but I really need some regen braking. With all the hills and the extra speed I've unlocked, front disc brakes are in my near future as well. With regen off, the pucker factor is off the scale. I'm too old to be so stupid driving it this way and too young to die.

My internal voting has AMD in 3rd place right now with FSIP in second and the MOT-A4 still in the lead but only by a little. Since I am already about $700 over budget on my Lithium/Alltrax upgrade, shelling out another $1000 for motor and brakes is hard for me to justify now. In the mean time, I will keep researching.
Thanks
Greg
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Unfortunately you can get paralysis by analysis on this stuff. I have Admiral motors and FSIP motor's I'm impressed with. The Admiral had a stellar record for durability. In flat FLA I would opt for the speed motor from FSIP. In the hills I would go for a higher hp Admiral.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car