lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Burns113
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G29 Speed Code Upgrade

I have a 2007 Yamaha G29 and took it to the dealer to get a speed code upgrade. They told me it would take it up to 19mph. Once i got it home it only clocks at 14-15 mph. Is there a reason my cart didn't accept the 19mph setting or could there be an issue with my cart?

Also why does Yamaha require lights for this code upgrade?
Burns113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G29 Speed Code Upgrade

It seems like it didn't take the speed code upgrade, really don't know why.
I don't know about Yamis but for CC it's this.

I would not think so. Where did you hear that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If the speed code was actually applied, and you DID see some increase in speed, there is a problem in your motor. There was a TSB to address this. Unfortunately, it's a horrible fix. They changed the brush holder & brushes to a much smaller set. It fixed the speed problem, but was a "band-aid" that actually makes your motor "lighter duty" because of the new small brushes. Sorry for the bad news, you need a new motor, and a new better motor is my advice . Did you see a speed increase?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
Burns113
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If the speed code was actually applied, and you DID see some increase in speed, there is a problem in your motor. There was a TSB to address this. Unfortunately, it's a horrible fix. They changed the brush holder & brushes to a much smaller set. It fixed the speed problem, but was a "band-aid" that actually makes your motor "lighter duty" because of the new small brushes. Sorry for the bad news, you need a new motor, and a new better motor is my advice . Did you see a speed increase?
I took it back up there to see if they could try the code upgrade again. They hooked it up and installed the code again, they showed me the computer and software they were using. With the setting on 25 with min regen it only showed the cart would go 14mph with the software the had. Once i got back home i tested it and am getting 16-17 on flat, 20mph on slight downhill, and 12-13 going uphill. I was looking forward to 19mph but its not that bad.

However do you think something is wrong with my engine knowing these speeds now or do you think they had a different software that wouldn't allow the full 19mph on flat surface?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

I think you have the best your motor has to offer. Because it sucks.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns113 View Post
Also why does Yamaha require lights for this code upgrade?
Seems this is required by Yamaha for safety reasons as this changes the "golf cart" into a PTV.
PTV's require the safety items.

There is a recent post about it.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
Burns113
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I think you have the best your motor has to offer. Because it sucks.
I found the newest and latest road in my town most likely and hit 18mph so i guess the code they installed worked. I am new to this electric cart thing. IS there certain stuff to look for in determining a good/bad cart?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

The early drives had an issue in some of the motors, but not all (therefore, there is no way for me to remotely answer "does my cart have this problem?"). The problem was not thoroughly described. Yamaha issued a fix for any motors that wouldn't make 18+ mph with speed code installed. It was a new, smaller brush set. Smaller brush sets are the enemy of big controllers, and those modified motors are "stock controller only" motors in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Burns113
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
The early drives had an issue in some of the motors, but not all (therefore, there is no way for me to remotely answer "does my cart have this problem?"). The problem was not thoroughly described. Yamaha issued a fix for any motors that wouldn't make 18+ mph with speed code installed. It was a new, smaller brush set. Smaller brush sets are the enemy of big controllers, and those modified motors are "stock controller only" motors in my opinion.
Thanks for all your help. Only going 16-17 doesn't really bother me as long as my son is enjoying riding around on the cart with me. Hopefully the engine holds together and I don't have any issues. I really enjoy this cart.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:52 PM   #10
seefloyd
Not Yet Wild

Hey all, I have a question that I haven't been able to find answered.

How does the Yamaha speed code upgrade work? Does it increase the RPM of the motor or...? I just have seen a lot about the speed code upgrade, but nothing about how it gets you up to the 19mph.

Thanks in advance
seefloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha