lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Qman97
Getting Wild

Default Motor wire question

Hi everyone,

Quick question......long story short I have a 2003 CC and had some issues with the heavy wire (white) from the motor controller to the motor lug. I want to replace the wire and found a black 4ga wire with the correct ends at Wally World. This cable is the one used on cars for the battery. It's even the right length for what I need, the only difference is the color (black not white)

Can I use this wire? Will this work? They are only $8 so I picked one up to use it but don't know if it can be used. I don't want to burn something up! Anyone else ever use or see these?

Any help would be appreciated!

John
Qman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Motor wire question

If it's the right guage and quality it will work. Wrap the end and write "white" on it.

I don't like doing this though.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Car battery posts are 3/8 and Golf Cart batteries, motor and Controllers are 5/16.

Oversized lugs can get loose with vibration.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Qman97
Getting Wild

Thanks guys

Good info on the inside diameter size.

Interesting.......if I cut the ends off and stake on 5/16 lugs this should work......hmmmmmm

I may try this, hey mooncrater.......why don't you like doing this?
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Mooncrater probably doesn't like doing this is because your new wire is black instead of white. If you have to take your cart in somewhere to get it worked on, the tech working on it just might hook that black wire to the wrong post and burn up something as he is probably use to hooking up wires by color code.
Toolmaker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

WHOA !! Be sure you put the cart in TOW and unhook main negative and positive battery cables first. Then be sure to use two wrenches on motor lug to keep it from turning.

As far as cable get 4 ga welding cable from tractor supply or local welding shop. The lugs can be found at most auto parts stores. They can be soldered on or crimped check utube for instructions.

Good luck. BTW you can spray paint the cable what ever color you want. Let it dry over night.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Qman97
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker Bob View Post
Mooncrater probably doesn't like doing this is because your new wire is black instead of white. If you have to take your cart in somewhere to get it worked on, the tech working on it just might hook that black wire to the wrong post and burn up something as he is probably use to hooking up wires by color code.
Good point, I will have to note that. I usually do any and all work on it just to save money for more.....stuff.

I'm thinking this is the way to go just to at least have a "spare" in case I run into more trouble with that wire
Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker Bob View Post
Old 08-03-2017, 12:51 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You are better off with a new set of matched cables for your cart. They are not that expensive. Look at the site sponsors and find a set. The others are probably going to give you trouble soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car