lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Gofigure1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Upgrade advice 97 EZGO TXT DCS 36v

I have a 97 ezgo txt 36v DCS cart I am looking to upgrade. I’m looking for advice on motors, controllers, wheels, brakes and lithium batteries with the goal of more speed and time between charging. I do not want the cart lifted. I want to keep the speed under 28mph. I’m located in an area that has a few hills but is not mountainous. The cart is used for golf and neighborhood trips. It has been kept indoors so it is in good physical condition.
Any recommendations are appreciated.
Gofigure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade advice 97 EZGO TXT DCS 36v

Upgrade to a 48v pack, lead or Lithium.
Use the XCT400DCS control and 200 amp SW180
With 2g cables throughout and FSIP B3 high speed motor for 27 mph
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Gofigure1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you Scotty. I forgot one item in my description. The cart is a four seater. Will change your recommendation? What are your thoughts on wheel size and brakes? Any experience with lithium and where to buy?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

thats the one! scotty knows...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofigure1 View Post
Thank you Scotty. I forgot one item in my description. The cart is a four seater. Will change your recommendation? What are your thoughts on wheel size and brakes? Any experience with lithium and where to buy?
If the passengers are heavy or the hills are on the bugger side then yes, go with a higher torque motor like the Admiral D2. You will still get almost all the speed.
Tires size should not exceed 22" tall. Taller tires reduce torque and performance. Stock brakes are okay for stock carts, I prefer the Ausco cable disc brake setup. See the install at the top of this section.
I'm just beginning my first lithium install so no recommendations there. Search this site for more info
Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
Gofigure1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’ve decided to hold off on a voltage and battery change until the 6 Trojan t105’s 6volts croak. Can I go ahead with the alltrax 400 controller, solenoid, and wiring upgrade and then change the batteries and motor latter in a second phase? Will the new parts work with the current stock motor setup? Does the forward reverse switch need to be changed with new controller?
Thank you.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
Gofigure1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have no prior experience working on golf carts and thought I would share my experience upgrading my cart for other newbies. After reading some on this site and watching some you tube videos on upgrades, I placed my order with ScottyB at cartsunlimited for an Alltrax xct500, 400amp solenoid with 2ga cables and digital in dash volt meter. The parts arrived packed perfectly in the carton with multiple instruction guides. I spent most of my time reading the instructions while looking at my cart (96 ezgo 36v DCS) before diving in. I then started by removing the driver side battery cable that connects the front row of batteries to the rear. I then removed the speed controller housing. I labeled all the old cables and wires with masking tape and a sharpie pen. Took some video and pics of the old set up and went to work. I started at the motor as that was the least accessible wiring. I removed the rear seat (4 seater) and the access panel under the seat. The lugs for M1 and S1 on the motor were actually facing downward. I was able to get my hands through from the top, reach under and undo the wires. As I removed a cable end, I installed the new cable and labeled both ends of the new cable. After the motor, I removed the wires from B+ and B- labeling and replacing them with new 2g wires. From there I moved to the solenoid and speed controller. I then installed the old run tow switch to the new included solenoid bracket, then the bracket to the new controller, and finally the solenoid to the bracket. I then removed the old controller and installed the new controller set up following the included diagrams to connect and all wires. Everything fit perfectly except for 4 small wires that were now too short to reach the solenoid. I had to extend those 4 wires using butt connectors and new ring connectors. Once I connected all the wiring to the controller and solenoid, I finished replacing all the battery cables except for one. I then installed the digital volt meter on the dash (simple with instructions) and installed the included battery pack fuse to B-. I then got out the diagrams, traced every wire twice to make certain they were installed correctly and checked that every connection was tight. Finally, with some apprehension, I connected the last battery cable. Wa la, the digital volt meter lit up with 37.2V and the speed controller had a green light... Turned the key on, put the cart in reverse, and briefly touched the pedal, she moved in reverse. Another victory.. I exited the garage, put her in forward and went for a test drive. All I can say is WOW what a difference. Faster, better pull up our small hills and smooth acceleration. Everything worked perfectly and as described on Scotty’s website cartsunlimited.net. I’m very impressed with the simplicity of your website, the way you’ve packaged kits for my particular cart and with the instruction sets. Way to go guys and thank you!!!!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Congratulations! You really did it right. You actually read my instruction and followed it and that lead to success on the first try. You would probably be surprised to know how many people do not do that and make a fairly simple job difficult for themselves. Thanks for choosing cartsunlimited.net

later you can do the voltage upgrade to 42 or 48 volts and add any aftermarket motor using the free and easy Alltrax toolkit software
Old 12-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Natebelk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofigure1 View Post
I have no prior experience working on golf carts and thought I would share my experience upgrading my cart for other newbies. After reading some on this site and watching some you tube videos on upgrades, I placed my order with ScottyB at cartsunlimited for an Alltrax xct500, 400amp solenoid with 2ga cables and digital in dash volt meter. The parts arrived packed perfectly in the carton with multiple instruction guides. I spent most of my time reading the instructions while looking at my cart (96 ezgo 36v DCS) before diving in. I then started by removing the driver side battery cable that connects the front row of batteries to the rear. I then removed the speed controller housing. I labeled all the old cables and wires with masking tape and a sharpie pen. Took some video and pics of the old set up and went to work. I started at the motor as that was the least accessible wiring. I removed the rear seat (4 seater) and the access panel under the seat. The lugs for M1 and S1 on the motor were actually facing downward. I was able to get my hands through from the top, reach under and undo the wires. As I removed a cable end, I installed the new cable and labeled both ends of the new cable. After the motor, I removed the wires from B+ and B- labeling and replacing them with new 2g wires. From there I moved to the solenoid and speed controller. I then installed the old run tow switch to the new included solenoid bracket, then the bracket to the new controller, and finally the solenoid to the bracket. I then removed the old controller and installed the new controller set up following the included diagrams to connect and all wires. Everything fit perfectly except for 4 small wires that were now too short to reach the solenoid. I had to extend those 4 wires using butt connectors and new ring connectors. Once I connected all the wiring to the controller and solenoid, I finished replacing all the battery cables except for one. I then installed the digital volt meter on the dash (simple with instructions) and installed the included battery pack fuse to B-. I then got out the diagrams, traced every wire twice to make certain they were installed correctly and checked that every connection was tight. Finally, with some apprehension, I connected the last battery cable. Wa la, the digital volt meter lit up with 37.2V and the speed controller had a green light... Turned the key on, put the cart in reverse, and briefly touched the pedal, she moved in reverse. Another victory.. I exited the garage, put her in forward and went for a test drive. All I can say is WOW what a difference. Faster, better pull up our small hills and smooth acceleration. Everything worked perfectly and as described on Scotty’s website cartsunlimited.net. I’m very impressed with the simplicity of your website, the way you’ve packaged kits for my particular cart and with the instruction sets. Way to go guys and thank you!!!!
Hey Gofigure, I know this is an extremely old thread but I am hoping you are still a member and can remember back then! I was looking to do the same thing you did in this thread can you give me an idea on how much speed./torque you gained by doing these mods? I am in the same boat as far as cart wise. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Natebelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, ezgo, lithium, rebuild, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO