lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Spitnhit
Not Yet Wild

Default What Y'all think, repairable?

controller board.JPG

Opened up the controller, found this.
Spitnhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Y'all think, repairable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitnhit View Post
Attachment 162884

Obvious signs of a reverse polarity or an extreme overvolt condition. Typically, it takes reverse polarity to cause those polarized capacitors to pop like that. To repair, you wold need to replace every cip and discrete semiconductor. It would cost more to repair than just buying a new controller. And you would still need to source the firmware to burn into the replacement microcontrollers.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Attachment 162884

Sure. piece of cake.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Spitnhit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Obvious signs of a reverse polarity or an extreme overvolt condition. Typically, it takes reverse polarity to cause those polarized capacitors to pop like that. To repair, you wold need to replace every cip and discrete semiconductor. It would cost more to repair than just buying a new controller. And you would still need to source the firmware to burn into the replacement microcontrollers.

Bob

Ok, A new Navitas controller already programmed is $1600 plus labor and tax. UGH!!!
The IR multiplexer and the ceramic capacitors aren't that expensive but, was hoping for some good news.

I believe it was an overvolt issue, I tried to move the cart while it was plugged in charging.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Spitnhit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Sure. piece of cake.
Not funny but, love it!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Not funny but, love it!
As least you have a good attitude about it👍
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Spitnhit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzvet View Post
As least you have a good attitude about it👍
Thanks! A bad attitude gets me no where. And, it's nothing that time and money can't fix. I don't have much of either!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:48 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok, A new Navitas controller already programmed is $1600 plus labor and tax. UGH!!!
The IR multiplexer and the ceramic capacitors aren't that expensive but, was hoping for some good news.

I believe it was an overvolt issue, I tried to move the cart while it was plugged in charging.
Those are not ceramic capacitors. They are high capacity, low Equivalent Series Resistance/Equivalent Series Inductance, polarized tantalum (solid state) capacitors. Not cheap, I use them myself. They do not handle overvolt or reverse polarity well, as you can see. You would have to replace every tantalum capacitor, chip, diode, transistor. In other words, every active component. Discrete components and simple non-LSI chips are fairly easy, but the programmed chips are not going to be easy to replace. Only the original manufacturer will have the code that must be programmed in. Typically, they do not share the code. In fact, they program the chip and lock it afterwards to prevent others (like china) from reading the code out and copying their work. I know I do that in the products that I have out on the market. The difference is, I make preprogrammed microcontrollers available to customers that need them for products of my design. I would suspect that the controller mainboard is toast as well. The FETs are probably shorted at the very minumum.

A controller should be designed to handle maximum charger voltage. Maybe something went wrong with your battery pack or charger to allow the voltage to climb high enough to cause damage. Towing can do that however, as the motor can become a generator and cause severe controller overvolt on the output.

I build controllers and do some repairs. I would not touch a controlller that suffered that level of damage, no matter how much it costs. I would either buy or build a replacement.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Pargo
Not Yet Wild

Pargo

Spray a little Windex on it and you'll be good to go.
Pargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
Spitnhit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Those are not ceramic capacitors. They are high capacity, low Equivalent Series Resistance/Equivalent Series Inductance, polarized tantalum (solid state) capacitors. Not cheap, I use them myself. They do not handle overvolt or reverse polarity well, as you can see. You would have to replace every tantalum capacitor, chip, diode, transistor. In other words, every active component. Discrete components and simple non-LSI chips are fairly easy, but the programmed chips are not going to be easy to replace. Only the original manufacturer will have the code that must be programmed in. Typically, they do not share the code. In fact, they program the chip and lock it afterwards to prevent others (like china) from reading the code out and copying their work. I know I do that in the products that I have out on the market. The difference is, I make preprogrammed microcontrollers available to customers that need them for products of my design. I would suspect that the controller mainboard is toast as well. The FETs are probably shorted at the very minumum.

A controller should be designed to handle maximum charger voltage. Maybe something went wrong with your battery pack or charger to allow the voltage to climb high enough to cause damage. Towing can do that however, as the motor can become a generator and cause severe controller overvolt on the output.

I build controllers and do some repairs. I would not touch a controlller that suffered that level of damage, no matter how much it costs. I would either buy or build a replacement.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. Your input gave me a really good detailed explanation of what I'm facing. Guess I'm just going to have to replace the controller with a new one.
Again, thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO