lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #1
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor Maintanence

It was suggested that I take the motor off and clean the inside. Is there a resource for the correct way to do this. The cleaning part, I can take the motor off...hopefully. Also is there anything else I should do while its off?
420ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor Maintanence

Compressed air only. Maybe light use of a brass brush on the commutator (area where brushes ride). Do not attempt to "re-pack" the bearing, you will just make it worse. If bearing feels too loose, or grinding, replace.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What about the differential? anything to do there. I just want to evaluate things while I have it apart. Getting ready to start it back up again after I replaced alot of items. its a 93 marathon.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Evaluation is "are the splines worn thinner than they were originally?". If the splines are nice and wide at the "axle end", but the splines are all worn and pitted as you get out to the motor end, it's a problem that will be noisey until it eventually totally craps-out and leaves you sitting. I have seen so many "axle noise" problems be eventually isolated to motor coupler and input shaft problems. Motor coupler is the motor "socket" that plugs on to the axle input shaft, they both have to be a awesome team for noise free operation. I did a club car the other day that sounded like the axle was totally screwed, I swapped a different motor on, and the noise was gone. I guess the part in the manual about fresh grease and cleaning every 4 years will bite you when you dont know if it has ever been done on a old cart you don't know the service history when you thought it was the deal of the year. Just saying, you often don't know what you got until you already own it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Sougentlmn0140
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Let me know how successful you are...mine needs some maintenance as well but always cautious what I could create by fixing something...would really like to replace the motor but would not know where to start
Sougentlmn0140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So once I get the motor off and inspect the spline what would be the proper way to maintain the gear box?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I also noticed that the motor connection is on the bottom. I figured they'd be better in the top to avoid dirt and moisture. Can it be rotated?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO