lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
daniel.crafton
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 RXV Speed Upgrade

Just got a new cart (to me) and I love it. I can’t seem to find solid info on how to increase the speed. Anyone out there know of the options on this cart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daniel.crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 RXV Speed Upgrade

How fast is it now? What size tires? What are your plans for use in the future? How fast you looking for? ("as fast as possible" is not always a good plan either). I have some answers, and some advice on what not to do, but would like to tailor the advice to your plans and needs/desires.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.crafton View Post
Just got a new cart (to me) and I love it. I can’t seem to find solid info on how to increase the speed. Anyone out there know of the options on this cart?
Also, where are you located?

The RXV is essentially a computerized golf cart, where the options are programmed into the controller. So, it takes a Curtis Programming Station, or a Curtis/E-Z-GO diagnostic handset for most of these options. The options are...

1. Select a faster/more aggressive profile and setting the speed to the maximum speed for that profile. This can be done with an OEM level Curtis/E-Z-GO diagnostic handset or a Curtis Programming Station.

2. Paying for a dealer or someone else to apply a Passkey, which will enable Freedom Mode. This will get you to 17.5 MPH. It still takes a Curtis/E-Z-GO diagnostic handset or a Curtis Programming Station to take you up to the maximum of 19.5 MPH. Not really recommended, as using a Passkey locks some advanced menu options that require a hacked top level programmer and experience with it to undo.

3. Find someone local with the capabilities to reprogram your controller. Not many have this ability because again, it requires a hacked top level programmer, and the knowledge of how to use it. This has the greatest performance potential.

4. Mail your controller out to someone with the hacked programmer to have it reprogrammed and returned to you. This also has the greatest performance potential.

5. Buy the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller and have it programmed to your desired settings. Out of the box, it is not really any better than the stock 235 Amp Curtis RXV controller. In fact, a properly reprogrammed stock 235 Amp Curtis RXV controller will outperform the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller, the way it comes programmed from E-Z-GO.

The first step would be to answer the questions from cgtech, as anyone trying to help you needs to know exactly what you are wanting to do to the RXV, and what performance level you would like to expect. The RXV is not like most carts... most performance options are accessed with programming instead of buying and bolting on performance parts.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
daniel.crafton
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
How fast is it now? What size tires? What are your plans for use in the future? How fast you looking for? ("as fast as possible" is not always a good plan either). I have some answers, and some advice on what not to do, but would like to tailor the advice to your plans and needs/desires.

Thanks for the help. It seems to top out at 20 mph. The tire size is 215/35-12. The cart is street legal so I’m looking for a couple more mph on the road.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the help. It seems to top out at 20 mph. The tire size is 215/35-12. The cart is street legal so I’m looking for a couple more mph on the road.
Ok, sounds good. Your tires are not large enough to cause you any issues, and you should be able to get your cart up to 25-26 MPH with some reprogramming. I suggest braking improvements as well, since you'll be operating at higher speed, and in traffic. Since it's running at about 20 MPH with 17.856" tires, that indicates that Freedom Mode must have been turned on. That will required a bit of reprogramming remove the motor current cutbacks caused by that. All that needs to be done, can be done through Advanced reprogramming. You did not mention where you were located. We need to check who you are closer to. I know I prefer to program a controller while its in the cart because you can check your results right away.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
daniel.crafton
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Ok, sounds good. Your tires are not large enough to cause you any issues, and you should be able to get your cart up to 25-26 MPH with some reprogramming. I suggest braking improvements as well, since you'll be operating at higher speed, and in traffic. Since it's running at about 20 MPH with 17.856" tires, that indicates that Freedom Mode must have been turned on. That will required a bit of reprogramming remove the motor current cutbacks caused by that. All that needs to be done, can be done through Advanced reprogramming. You did not mention where you were located. We need to check who you are closer to. I know I prefer to program a controller while its in the cart because you can check your results right away.

I’m sorry! Saint Augustine, Florida.IMG_0232.JPG

Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I’m sorry! Saint Augustine, Florida.Attachment 170057
That's a nice area. I ended up spending a week in a hotel there. I had AAMCO in St Augustine rebuild the Allison transmission in my RV. It started slipping as I was nearing there on I-95. It had just been rebuilt by the GM dealer in WPB when a brand new engine was installed, and they forgot to install the lubrication pump shaft.

I'll be in FL this coming week. A really good friend of mine is on his deathbed in a VA hospital on the west coast of FL. I want to visit with him one last time. When I travel, I bring my RXV diagnostic tools and programming station with me. I can swing over to I-95 on my way back north and knock that out for you.

Bob
Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
daniel.crafton
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That's a nice area. I ended up spending a week in a hotel there. I had AAMCO in St Augustine rebuild the Allison transmission in my RV. It started slipping as I was nearing there on I-95. It had just been rebuilt by the GM dealer in WPB when a brand new engine was installed, and they forgot to install the lubrication pump shaft.

I'll be in FL this coming week. A really good friend of mine is on his deathbed in a VA hospital on the west coast of FL. I want to visit with him one last time. When I travel, I bring my RXV diagnostic tools and programming station with me. I can swing over to I-95 on my way back north and knock that out for you.

Bob

That would be pretty awesome. Sorry to hear about your friend. I feel like this is really out of your way. I do not have a trailer for the cart as it will live in my garage full time. Honestly, if it’s too much trouble I would understand.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That would be pretty awesome. Sorry to hear about your friend. I feel like this is really out of your way. I do not have a trailer for the cart as it will live in my garage full time. Honestly, if it’s too much trouble I would understand.
I'll PM you when I get my schedule ironed out. I have friends all over FL, so I tend to stop by and visit them as I'm passing through. I'll usually overnight at a friends in Lakeland on my way east from the I-75 corridor to the I-95 corridor.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
daniel.crafton
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I'll PM you when I get my schedule ironed out. I have friends all over FL, so I tend to stop by and visit them as I'm passing through. I'll usually overnight at a friends in Lakeland on my way east from the I-75 corridor to the I-95 corridor.

Sure thing, let me know!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO