lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2014 RXV Speed Upgrade

Following and may reach out to Bob
Chbyfngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

And what year cart do you have and where are you located?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #23
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a nice read. I live in a retirement community and a buddy just bought a dog slow (his words) 2015 RXV and was asking how to get more out of it. There are thousands of Golf carts in our community and most of them are quick, he is just trying to not be an obstacle.

Anyone near the Phoenix, Arizona area that could do a program for my buddy? He has stock tires on it and wants to get 20-25 mph.

How much is the diagnostic tools for these?
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #24
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dealer can get you to 20.6 mph on the standard 18" tires. It's a 2 step process. Electronic key unlocks 17.5 mph and handheld scanner releases the other 2 mph. Takes just a couple of minutes and nothing has to be removed from the cart. Could do it while it sits on a trailer if necessary. There will be a fee because the dealer has to pay for the equipment. Approx. $100 where I am.

If more is desired, changing to 20" tires and nothing else gets the cart to 22-23 mph. No lift required. Note that "seat of the pants" the cart feels much faster than it is because it is still software restricted and not power restricted. Accelerates smartly to the top speed and doesn't slow down on an incline or with additional passenger (with in reason).

There is more available with Bob's programing and not just speed. He tunes drivability also. Bob is awesome!
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #25
Chbyfngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
And what year cart do you have and where are you located?

Update my profile but EZGO Rxv 2014 and live in Colorado. Controller replacement fixed the problem of cart not running at 30mph like it had previously. Was having some issues with the dealer because they are out of state and wanted to replace everything else first. They finally agreed to send a new controller and once installed the cart ran fine again. However, they didn’t program the new controller to go 30mph like it had been previously. Owner wouldn’t give anyone local the programming protocol because he said it was “proprietary” so I had to wait a month until he was out here visiting to come by and program the new controller.

Cart runs at 30mph now but it has a major lag when I first turn it on in reverse. I have to push the pedal very very slowly and most of the time it will not react right away. I have to turn it off then back on and push slowly again before it clicks in reverse. Any easy fixes for that?
Chbyfngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
rshosted
Not Yet Wild

Bob, is there a list of people who can do option 4? I’d like to know, does anyone have a list of people who have the programmer and are willing to do this? Thanks in advance. (And since I know someone will ask I’ve got the 14-15’ ezgo rxv. Bone stock.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Also, where are you located?

The RXV is essentially a computerized golf cart, where the options are programmed into the controller. So, it takes a Curtis Programming Station, or a Curtis/E-Z-GO diagnostic handset for most of these options. The options are...

1. Select a faster/more aggressive profile and setting the speed to the maximum speed for that profile. This can be done with an OEM level Curtis/E-Z-GO diagnostic handset or a Curtis Programming Station.

2. Paying for a dealer or someone else to apply a Passkey, which will enable Freedom Mode. This will get you to 17.5 MPH. It still takes a Curtis/E-Z-GO diagnostic handset or a Curtis Programming Station to take you up to the maximum of 19.5 MPH. Not really recommended, as using a Passkey locks some advanced menu options that require a hacked top level programmer and experience with it to undo.

3. Find someone local with the capabilities to reprogram your controller. Not many have this ability because again, it requires a hacked top level programmer, and the knowledge of how to use it. This has the greatest performance potential.

4. Mail your controller out to someone with the hacked programmer to have it reprogrammed and returned to you. This also has the greatest performance potential.

5. Buy the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller and have it programmed to your desired settings. Out of the box, it is not really any better than the stock 235 Amp Curtis RXV controller. In fact, a properly reprogrammed stock 235 Amp Curtis RXV controller will outperform the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller, the way it comes programmed from E-Z-GO.

The first step would be to answer the questions from cgtech, as anyone trying to help you needs to know exactly what you are wanting to do to the RXV, and what performance level you would like to expect. The RXV is not like most carts... most performance options are accessed with programming instead of buying and bolting on performance parts.

Bob
rshosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #27
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Are you wanting your controller reprogrammed to go faster?
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #28
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chbyfngr View Post
Update my profile but EZGO Rxv 2014 and live in Colorado. Controller replacement fixed the problem of cart not running at 30mph like it had previously. Was having some issues with the dealer because they are out of state and wanted to replace everything else first. They finally agreed to send a new controller and once installed the cart ran fine again. However, they didn’t program the new controller to go 30mph like it had been previously. Owner wouldn’t give anyone local the programming protocol because he said it was “proprietary” so I had to wait a month until he was out here visiting to come by and program the new controller.

Cart runs at 30mph now but it has a major lag when I first turn it on in reverse. I have to push the pedal very very slowly and most of the time it will not react right away. I have to turn it off then back on and push slowly again before it clicks in reverse. Any easy fixes for that?
It sounds like your dealer has exceeded the maximum setting allowed for your controller to operate correctly, and the result is a controller that cannot properly regulate the motor current for the operating RPM. There are a few dealers out there that are doing this now, and since they think more is better... By doing this, the RXV controller WILL burn out! By him doing it again for your new controller, it will burn out again. When the controller is that far out of calibration with the motor maps range, that is what happens! Sure, it'll go fast, until it kills the controller again. There are limits in the VCL for a reason! I designed the controller with plenty of reserve capacity, when fools exceed that reserve capacity, it gets even by failing. LOL

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #29
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Bob - Any plans to be in the Atlanta area in the near future? I have a Curtis 1268-5501, just upgraded from a -5403, and a custom motor from EMP. I had regular contact with the motor engineer for a while but when we started programming the controller the communication stopped. Very unusual as up to that point his customer service was exceptional, bar none. I hope he is well.

Unfortunalty I am still sitting at mostly stock speed, 21MPH. I own a 2010 Star.
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #30
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbop View Post
Bob - Any plans to be in the Atlanta area in the near future? I have a Curtis 1268-5501, just upgraded from a -5403, and a custom motor from EMP. I had regular contact with the motor engineer for a while but when we started programming the controller the communication stopped. Very unusual as up to that point his customer service was exceptional, bar none. I hope he is well.

Unfortunalty I am still sitting at mostly stock speed, 21MPH. I own a 2010 Star.
The star is a chinese built cart, not sure which programming port the harness of your version has. The last Star that I plugged into had the Mini-Fit Jr 4 pin Curtis port. But the ones at a dealer I went to had a custom port connector that I had no adapter for. The factory controllers in the new Star carts have the Curtis label, but lack the VCL of a US based brand. It has a clone OS that lacks the features that we have become used to in US built carts. When you buy a new controller from Curtis, unless it was pre-programmed for a particular cart, it may not have a usable VCL.

As for Atlanta, I've been avoiding that area since the shutdowns. It's a 2.5 - 3 hour drive each way for me. So not that big of a deal. There are a few others that may need my services not too far away from there. Maybe we can get something set up.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO