lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Nos800
Not Yet Wild

Default I want to put a motorcycle radio and speakers but how?

I am looking at motorcycle radios and marine speakers for my cart. I want to put two speakers down by my fwd/rvs switch. I search the forum but didn't find what I was looking for. I have 36v series cart and I am still researching. If anyone has a sticky or knows of a thread of can link that would be great thanks.
Nos800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I want to put a motorcycle radio and speakers but how?

I don’t think there’s any stickies, but it’s an easy project. And there are plenty of threads about it. Try using the advanced search.

The first thing is to figure out how you’re going to get your 12v. Your options are:
1. Wiring to two of your 6v batteries. This is not recommended, as it draws those batteries down unequally.
2. Separate 12v battery. Lots of people use this method. One drawback is that you’ll have to charge that battery separately with a 12v charger.
3. Voltage reducer. This will take your 36v from the whole pack and output 12v. There are many threads to read about installing one of these.

Many people have speakers where you want to put them. The plastic is easy to cut. Jut make sure you measure and get everything laid out correctly. Your speakers will come with a cutout template. Some guys have had to use a spacer due to the depth of the magnet, but you can figure that out by the spec sheet, and it’s not a big deal, if you do need it.

Pick a stereo based on what sources you want for music. Are you just going to play from your phone, or do you want am/fm too. If you do, many units now have the ability to store your preset stations without constant power. It makes configuring your reducer easier, if you don’t need power when the cart is off.

As maybe you’ve already seen, there are overhead consoles that will hold head unit and speakers. No cutting into the cart required. If you still want the speakers beneath your legs, there are units that just hold the stereo. I like it better that way than in the dash, no chance of a beverage sloshing onto my stereo from the cup holder.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
Nos800
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking I am going to add a 12 volt battery to run my lights and radio and just get another voltage display so I can monitor it. Thanks for the info
Old 06-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That’ll work, but you should consider the reducer. It’s an easy install and you won’t have to monitor:charge a eparate battery. Check out http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
Old 06-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Nos800
Not Yet Wild

Im looking atgetting a solar panel to mount on the roof and charge my 12v. they look pretty cheap and it element the need for a seperate charger
Old 06-30-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
ycis
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

vs the motorcycle radios, there are some rather fancy (and inexpensive) boat radios these days that come with all the goodies..remotes/bluetooth/etc...all waterproof and in a tiny head unit package (read without a cd player etc)...

if i ever decide to go the stereo route, id look into one of hte round hockey puck style ones for sure over a traditional radio.
ycis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The solar would be cool. I’ve seen a couple of guys on here that have done it. Can’t remember if anyone has broken it down by parts and steps, but know I’ve seen it before.

Ycis, I think that’s what the op is talking about. When I was getting mine, the units I saw for motorcycles were small, round and made to be in the weather. They looked like a pretty good way to go.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I tried the solar panel for my 12 volt , it didnt work well enough for my liking . I thing I still have it in a junk box somewhere 20 buck thrown away. Went with a small battery tender and its works great. zip tied it to the top of my charger handle and added a plug to the cart

this is the battery tender I use > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Ten...wAAOSwXkNaaoEX

Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got three of these yesterday at northern tool. They were $20 in store and a little more online for a limited time as a overstock special. Hopefully they work as advertised. These are not waterproof though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AEF309F2-DEF1-4132-AA6D-6F647361CDFB.jpg (135.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 46F39BE6-60A3-4DC3-B340-C2BDEE0A44A2.jpg (277.9 KB, 0 views)
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
Buckethead1968
Not Yet Wild

I went with a good marine amp and a Fusion bluetooth dongle and just run my music thru my phone. Cuts down on the amount of cutting needed in the dash. There's plenty of room to mount an amp behind the center of the dash if you remove the front cap and there are speaker pods you can buy that just screw to the cart. They sound better when you fill them with poly fill or buffalo snow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ezgo...hR8MJqBlHxJ2M:
Buckethead1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO