lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #31
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 08 PDS still stops then goes while driving!

120 Minutes @ 75A rate is slightly better than standard. (115 Minutes for T-105)

Your battery pack looks okay, if the 36.7V reading was while it was under load.

Might be a controller heat issue, but thermal cutback doesn't stop cart and gives a 2-3 error code. If you haven't been, run the cart in diagnostic mode.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #32
Waterfowlwidowmaker
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

When I had it in diagnostic I did get a motor stall code once.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Waterfowlwidowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #33
Waterfowlwidowmaker
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfowlwidowmaker View Post
When I had it in diagnostic I did get a motor stall code once.

But I've never tried doing a burnout against an object or anything of the like. It's always done it going down hill or in a straight level line WOT.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #34
Waterfowlwidowmaker
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
120 Minutes @ 75A rate is slightly better than standard. (115 Minutes for T-105)

Your battery pack looks okay, if the 36.7V reading was while it was under load.

Might be a controller heat issue, but thermal cutback doesn't stop cart and gives a 2-3 error code. If you haven't been, run the cart in diagnostic mode.
Most common readings under load were between 34-35v

Old 08-31-2018, 10:45 AM   #35
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Most common readings under load were between 34-35v

That is more or less typical voltage under load.

The controller overheating is starting to sound more and more like the problem.

I'm a firm believer of good thermal coupling to heatsink for electronic gadgets, so I took the stock PDS controller off to make sure the heatsink compound hadn't dried out and found a thermal pad that was installed crooked. I had to take the heatsink out and use a bench mounted wire wheel to get the skewed pad off and remounted the controller with a thermal compound paste. Maybe you might think about doing something similar.

Of course the best solution would be replacing the stock controller with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS or larger with a fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermal Pad (2).jpg (157.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #36
Waterfowlwidowmaker
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Before I go down the road of replacing the controller, I want to make sure it's nothing else like micro switch or anything. Wife's going to be pissed when I spend the $800 for xct500 kit. With putting together the xct400 kit it was just a fuzz cheaper. With the xct from reading it looks like I can change the voltage down the road with no problems.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #37
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Before I go down the road of replacing the controller, I want to make sure it's nothing else like micro switch or anything. Wife's going to be pissed when I spend the $800 for xct500 kit. With putting together the xct400 kit it was just a fuzz cheaper. With the xct from reading it looks like I can change the voltage down the road with no problems.

The solenoid coil is voltage sensitive. The only solenoid I know of that will work at 36V, 42V and 48V is the MZJ400.

So far, I've used my MZJ400 at 36V and 42V and I'll probably got to 48V next time I replace batteries. Of course, I'll have to get a 48V charger, but other than that (and some tweaking of the XCT), I'm good to go to 48V as the cart sits right now.

I got my XCT48400PDS before the 500A version was released and would have gone with the 500A version instead. I never max out the 460A peak throughput, but I have put it into thermal shutdown a couple times before I installed the fan option (fan is included on the XCT48500PDS) and haven't overheated it since.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #38
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey dubyadubya.... man I’m pretty new to carts, but that sounds REALLY similar to what mine was doing. Mine would run fine then just stop. Let it sit for a while, flip switches back and forth in no particular order, and it would eventually go again for a while. I ended up messaging ScottyB (bought a 500a alltrax controller from him) and was thinking it was the controller. I’m an electrician by trade, so I had checked and quadruple checked every switch on the cart....then checked them again. I had another issue before this, just after installation that made me suspect the throttle switch. Ended up being the stupid magnetic switch in the charging port. I was trying to test the controller without connecting the charging port. During that troubleshooting, I checked that throttle switch at least 37,000 times. It was good and I was sure about it. Scotty suggested connecting the controller to my laptop while driving it a using the monitor function. I could see all of my switches make and brake real time. There it was....that stupid throttle switch was dropping out! Now I KNEW there was nothing wrong with that switch, so I got to thinking. I was sitting there in the woods with a broke down cart getting raped by bird sized mosquitoes and it clicked! Every time I checked it with my meter, I would un plug it at the controller and check the pins coming from the throttle box. I reached down and grabbed the plug at the controller with my foot on the throttle and saw the switch close. Grip the plug again and it would drop out. It was a bad connection in the crimp of one of the pins inside that harness plug. Drove home while leaning over the seat holding that plug and looking like an idiot, replaced the plug and never had another problem. You might have a connection just barely making that breaks down under load or just breaks contact on a bump or something. One other thing to check that I thought about while writing this small novel is that stupid charging port switch. I have a DCS cart (not sure if yours is the same, but worth checking out) and my control power runs through that charging port switch and back to the rest of the components. It’s a normally closed switch that opens when the charger plug is installed to prevent you from operating the cart while charging. I’ve heard of these going out and it’s a show stopper. Should be able to find those wires and jump the switch out to test it for sure. Hope this helps man.
MPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #39
Waterfowlwidowmaker
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I pulled the trigger on the xct500 kit with cables and noid. Was driving back from our pool in very hot weather and the last time it did the stop and go I got a whiff of "electrical" smell.

So I'm hoping to God this is the fix once and for all!!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO