lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
ghostfist
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 89 club car faster in reverse

I acquired an 89 club car ds limo 36v that needed alot of attention. Ive cleaned it up a bit and bought some brand new batteries to hook up to see if it runs and to my surprise it does! But it is really slow in forward and hauls butt in reverse. Ive looked around the site and have come to the conclusion that to me it sounds like F/R is wired backwards. Now here lies the problem, idk what im looking for or how to fix it. My F/R selector is in the forward position when im going forward. Sorry for rambling on, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ghostfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 89 club car faster in reverse

If you think it is wired wrong, the S1 & S2 are your directional cables at the motor. You can try and reverse them and see if that does it. You can trace them back to your FNR and do it there, too.

Unhook your pack before you touch the motor or FNR cables to avoid arching. And double wrench all motor lugs when you are breaking them loose.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:04 AM   #3
ghostfist
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Im sorry for being illiterate when it comes to this stuff but which ones are the s1&s2?? Is it one of the wires in the picture??IMG_20180806_093201.jpg

Old 10-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

See if this helps http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post890829 but if you clean off the motor with a good degreaser you will find the nomenclature that identifies each motor post.

PS- Your thermography shows hot spots along the outter facial and temporal areas....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the cart is moving in the direction pointed by the FNR, don't mess with the motor cables (this applies to any Series cart).

Actually don't mess with your particular cables at all since the studs will likely either brake or rotate.

If this a a 5 solenoid system, I would guess that you have an issue with one of the first 3 batteries starting from pack positive.

Those batteries are only used when the cart is in the forward position.

Confirm if You have resistor coils and how many solenoids.

Check the voltage in each individual battery, set your meter to 20v DC in order to get 2 decimal places precision.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
ghostfist
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I do have resistor coils and I believe I only have one solenoid. I'm at work at the moment so I have no way to check the voltage right now.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yep, 89 would have the single solenoid and resistor coil bank behind the batteries. Prepare to update (replace) the drive system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
ghostfist
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Let me reiterate the speed difference in forward and reverse. Going forward I can go slow or very slow. In reverse if I mat the pedal to the floor it spins the tires in grass and takes off. And I seem to have more control over my speed in reverse.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
ghostfist
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Oh I'm definitely going to update the drive system. I'm just illiterate when it comes to carts. [emoji2357]

Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That old system Controlled the speed by connecting 36v for Forward and 18v for Reverse (There are 2 separate cables going to batteries: #1 and #4).

While it is possible someone has always had the power taps on the wrong place in the FNR (seems unlikely to me), more likely one of the first 3 batteries are bad and when in Forward they prevent the cart from getting much power.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car