lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Extending driving distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
They already figured it out. It's call a gas cart.
LOL
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Clubcarguy34
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjSalzano View Post
Curious to add onto this question about using an onboard portable generator to recharge batteries to extend drive distance. Yes certainly redneck and would never do this, but just curious about the concept. If this was a 3000w generator this will extend range but not completely correct? If the golf cart electric motor is drawing, lets say 10,000w, this portable generator is only putting back about a third of the power the motor is drawing? Lets say a 48v cart with 220 amp battery pack produces around 10,000 watts for motor to draw, correct? So if all of this is true, if we mounted a 10,000 watt portable generator onto the backseat and hooked to the battery pack would we never have to recharge the batteries? I am on the right track or is my math way off?
You are only considering the peak amps. What you would need to figure out is the wattage or amperage over time. i.e how many watts are used in an hour. I believe a 3000 watt generator would be sufficient.
Clubcarguy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #13
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjSalzano View Post
Curious to add onto this question about using an onboard portable generator to recharge batteries to extend drive distance. Yes certainly redneck and would never do this, but just curious about the concept. If this was a 3000w generator this will extend range but not completely correct? If the golf cart electric motor is drawing, lets say 10,000w, this portable generator is only putting back about a third of the power the motor is drawing? Lets say a 48v cart with 220 amp battery pack produces around 10,000 watts for motor to draw, correct? So if all of this is true, if we mounted a 10,000 watt portable generator onto the backseat and hooked to the battery pack would we never have to recharge the batteries? I am on the right track or is my math way off?
This would essentially make your cart the exact same in concept as every Hybrid vehicle with a gas and battery drive train. Aside from perhaps a fuel savings, just buy a gas cart at that point. By the time you add a 600-1000 dollar 3k inverter generator, you could buy a gas engine model.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #14
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just one thing to add. A 3.3 hp golf cart motor is 2500 watts not 10,000 watts and the current would be drawn from the battery pack not the generator.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #15
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
They already figured it out. It's call a gas cart.

Smarty pants lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Seems like we had a thread on this subject a year or so back. You are right I was being a smarty pants .

If you haul a generator with you that could run your charger. You could disable the safety function that keeps the cart from running with the charger hooked up, then hook up the charger and run the generator and charge your batteries while driving the cart. Don't know if it would put charge back in as fast as it was coming out or not.. I really don't think it would be good on the batteries.

If you needed to drive the cart 50-60 miles one time it just might work.

On edit

Just re read your first post. Yes it would work. You cart would be running off the battery pack. The generator would be trying to keep the batteries charged. Go for it and let us know.

I would start by making sure it would charge while setting still.

I think it would need to increase you voltage while setting still. You pack should be 50.9 if the generator will bump that up to say 52-54 volts it may work.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Seems like we had a thread on this subject a year or so back. You are right I was being a smarty pants .

If you haul a generator with you that could run your charger. You could disable the safety function that keeps the cart from running with the charger hooked up, then hook up the charger and run the generator and charge your batteries while driving the cart. Don't know if it would put charge back in as fast as it was coming out or not.. I really don't think it would be good on the batteries.

If you needed to drive the cart 50-60 miles one time it just might work.

[emoji1417]

Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavila99999 View Post
[emoji1417]

How do I find that old post?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unless you can find an old Ferroresonant charger, I cannot imagine any smart charger or charging system like an OBC will work with the cart being driven while charging.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #20
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unless you can find an old Ferroresonant charger, I cannot imagine any smart charger or charging system like an OBC will work with the cart being driven while charging.

Gotcha

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car