lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Marshal
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 EZGO RXV brake won’t release

I have an EZGO RXV that I am currently refurbishing. I took the body off and just installed lights and a charge meter. The lights and meter seem to work fine but the horn from the light kit does not work. I haven’t put the body or seat back on but when I tried to move it, the cart won’t move. I checked the voltage on my batteries and it is good. The reverse buzzer sounds when the key is turned on. The accelerator and brake pedals are in the full up position. I never hear the click of the brake solenoid releasing when I press on the accelerator in forward and reverse. When I switch the cart into tow and set the key to Nuetral, I hear the brake solenoid click releasing the brake but then after approximately 5 seconds I hear the click and the brake kicks in again. I’m hoping this has something to do with a safety feature the cart has from the seat and body being removed but if not would like to troubleshoot while it’s taken apart.
Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2015 EZGO RXV brake won’t release

Under the controller cover it will tell you how to release the brake.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Marshal
Not Yet Wild

That will just release the brake. I am trying to figure out why the cart won’t go move in either forward or reverse when I press the accelerator. Note it is an electric rxv.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

First your cart has to pass the start up tests before it will go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV Power-up Sequence.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is a troubleshooting guide to help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RXV 48V AC Curtis Advanced Trouble-Shooting Guide.pdf (3.16 MB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Go to the motor brake page and do all the checks for the brake first.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
Marshal
Not Yet Wild

I did the electric motor brake test. The first step didn’t work because I couldn’t move the cart when I put it in forward. I tested the brake circuit voltage and it was dead on 48V. When I tested the ohms of the brake coil I only got 0.3 and it says I should get 25.5. Assuming this means I need a new electric brake motor.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
kmbtjm1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just had the same problem with motor brake. My cart is 2013 and was on a golf course before i got it. New batteries and new motor brake for me this year! Tires and rims will have to wait to next year.
kmbtjm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #9
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I did the electric motor brake test. The first step didn’t work because I couldn’t move the cart when I put it in forward. I tested the brake circuit voltage and it was dead on 48V. When I tested the ohms of the brake coil I only got 0.3 and it says I should get 25.5. Assuming this means I need a new electric brake motor.
If you got 48v at the brake and the ohms reading on the brake is 0.3 ohms yes you need a new brake.

Buy only a OEM brake the aftermarket brakes aren't lasting in these RXV's. Here is the best price I found on eBay on a oem RXV Motor Brake. These were running around $120 looks like they had a price increase.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing the Park Brake on an Electric RXV.pdf (65.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:48 AM   #10
Marshal
Not Yet Wild

Sleeping on it last night I didn’t think it made sense that the brake was bad so I checked it again and realized I had my meter set at 20K ohms. I dialed it down to 200 and the brake actually checked out at about 25 ohms. I think I’m going to do the key switch test and accelerator test next. Glad I checked it before I bought a new brake but now I’m back to square 1.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO