lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #21
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Default Re: Batteries are bone dry

If there was a dead cell it would show less then 6v correct? Like 4.22v
Barbersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batteries are bone dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbersham View Post
Trojan t105 e2 stamped. Got the golf cart from a friend. Sat for the last year and batteries have no water in them. When you put it in reverse you can hear the reverse buzzer so it has some juice. Question I have is can I add water and charge them up? I know the batteries need to be replaced I just want to make sure nothing else is wrong before I put new batteries in and lock myself in for a major wallet shock. It’s a mpt800. Are there any dangers to putting water in and charging them? Do I let the water sit for a while after adding before I try charging them?
Quote:
Actually drives pretty good for 5 minutes. I was just wondering if they all had 6.33 volt after charge and sitting if they were good or that doesn’t matter because they discharge fast.
Quote:
If there was a dead cell it would show less then 6v correct? Like 4.22v
Looks like you've answered your original question about the cart working.

Dead cells tend to drop the battery voltage by about 2V, but not always. In other words, a 3 cell lead-acid battery that measures about 4V definitely has a dead cell, but one that measures about 6V may have a defective cell that isn't detectable just by a static voltage measurement. Placing the battery under load (load testing) will usually identify batteries with bad cells.

The at-rest voltage of lead-acid, deep-cycle, wet-cell battery is determined by chemistry rather than storage capacity, so a healthy 10AH battery will have the same at-rest voltage as a healthy 1000AH battery, but not the same runtime.

The battery plates become sulfated during the normal aging process and the battery's storage capacity becomes progressively smaller as it ages. Things like sitting for a year without being charged accelerates the normal aging process exponentially and, at best, your batteries will have very little storage capacity.

Your batteries are at about twice their normal usable lifespan expectancy and have been severely abused, so I doubt if they'll ever power the cart much more than 10 minutes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO