lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2002 club car ds, IQ intermittently losing forward

I flipped the f and r toggle and rewired it. It ran great for 3 hours. Then lost foward again. Just ordered a new speed sensor. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
stonewolf2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I am concerned you have a controller issue. The speed sensor would place you in limp, but not stop only Forward. That sounds like a controller issue....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #23
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

My thought for the speed sensor came from i could put in in forward or reverse and just push the cart. Going forward there was no beep beep beep and coming to a stop. But pushing it backwards i had to push it about 20 feet before the beep beep beep and coming to a stop.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

Ive now replaced the speed sensor and magnet. And still cart will lose forward out of nowhere.
So far this cart has had a obc bypass, a dropout harness added, speed sensor and magnet. Mcor was also done.

Any new ideas are welcome.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #25
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Stonewolf2009, where did you buy your speed sensor? Is it a cheap one from eBay or Amazon? If so, that could very well be your issue.

I've only had this happen twice in 18 years of being in the golf car industry, but this can happen. Typically when a speed sensor fails it will cause the vehicle to go in limp mode due to a total loss of speed sensor signal from the sensor to the controller. Twice, (Once about a month ago) I've seen where the speed sensor would fail but it wouldn't lose total connection to the controller. Instead, it would simply read zero RPM, all while maintaining a good solid communication to the controller. The controller, detecting a complete speed sensor circuit, but no RPM, will trigger a MOTOR STALL code, instead of a SPEED SENSOR FAULT code when you try to operate the car. When you have a MOTOR STALL code, the car will not run. I was able to repair this issue on both of these carts by replacing the speed sensor. Furthermore, I'm pretty confident you have a speed sensor issue due to your push-test results. Pushing the car generates motor rpm. When the controller detects motor RPM in a situation where you are not trying to operate the car, it beeps and engages motor braking to eliminate a rollaway vehicle. Due to the inconsistency and sloppy assembly of the hall effect sensor in the Chinese speed sensor, it's possible that the sensor may be intermittently reading speed signal when you push it forward, but it may be oriented in such a way that it works fine reading speed signal in reverse. I'm thinking the hall effect sensor is not oriented correctly. Instead it's crooked and may be only picking up a signal in reverse. Due to the design of the speed sensor, being a sealed unit, you can not go into it and move the hall effect sensor. If you were to install a factory sensor on it, I think your problem would go away. If by some chance that the speed sensor does not fix your car, and all wiring is good, I would replace the controller.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #26
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

My boss had to special order the sensor (we couldn't find on the net). It is a speed sensor admiral motor, from golf cart garage llc. photo below (old sensor).
Tried ordering replacement sensors that amazon said would work (top hat style) however it wasnt the right size. I installed the new one, and magnet, still losing forward.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #27
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Oh ok. I was under the impression that you had a factory motor. But even still, it could be a bad sensor. Admiral parts carry a 1 year warranty. I'd contact who I bought it from and tell them it has failed and see if they can send you a new one.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #28
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

One other thing. Not sure if it helps, but sometimes when it loses forward and i switch from forward to reverse and back doesn't get it going again, i can drive in reverse for 6 to 100 feet, it will go forward again.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #29
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I am late to the thread, but has the FNR switch been changed?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #30
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

I did as nolesfan said and took it apart and flipped it over and ran the wires.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car