lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
WeCampinInMI
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Brake pedal won't stay down

On top of my very slow 2003 ez go 36v pds I also have a brake issue. Most times when I come to my destination and go to apply the parking brake(guessing that's what its called) it will not stay down and keeps popping back up. Most often I have to turn the steering wheel and then it will stay down. Any suggestions on what could cause this?
WeCampinInMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brake pedal won't stay down

From the Stickies:

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCampinInMI View Post
On top of my very slow 2003 ez go 36v pds I also have a brake issue. Most times when I come to my destination and go to apply the parking brake(guessing that's what its called) it will not stay down and keeps popping back up. Most often I have to turn the steering wheel and then it will stay down. Any suggestions on what could cause this?
I have no idea why turning your steering wheel helps, BUT I am pretty sure I know your issue, as I had the same one when I first bought my cart.

If you crawl under your cart and look at the brake/latch mechanism that locks the pedal down in "parking brake mode" you will see a large notch in it, and a corresponding catch. One or the other...sometimes both get worn or even out of adjustment and the brakes won't set properly. here's what you would be looking at... all I needed to do was to file a nice edge on the corresponding parts instead of the worn rounded off edges.

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you say you have to turn your wheel to lock the brakes is your steering wheel turned to the left? If you have tall tires the tire might be interfering with the lock mechanism. This the voice of experience.....
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would start with checking and making any needed adjustments to the brake “system” .
I had similar issue with my cart since it had been sitting for a long time before I bought it.
Once brake shoes were adjusted,cables lubed and freed up then equalizer bar adjusted to specs. Brakes perform and parking brake locked down perfectly.
Follow adjustments step by step as mentioned in manual Yurtle posted 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
sailfishgolfer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello, thanks for the info. You say to file the parts? The latch arm is hardened steel according to manual. What did yo use to file that edge? I installed a new catch plate and while it is better, it still wants to "slip off." Just wondering what type of file or tool I need.

Thanks
sailfishgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

2 plus year old thread…
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfishgolfer View Post
Hello, thanks for the info. You say to file the parts? The latch arm is hardened steel according to manual. What did yo use to file that edge? I installed a new catch plate and while it is better, it still wants to "slip off." Just wondering what type of file or tool I need.

Thanks
I use a cone tipped burr bit on a rotary tool to round out that latch hook which seems to do the trick most of the time...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO