lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Powerdrive charger acting differently

97 Series Cart. I had a problem for a couple of weeks where my charger wouldn't work. I followed the stickies and checked the batteries, OBC fuses and wiring and ended up bypassing the gray wire with the yellow fuse to the battery negative and the charger clicked while plugged into the cart but not the wall. I charged my batteries thinking I need to bypass the OBC permanently and buy a new smart charger. I went back to do another bypass charge and noticed the gray wire with the yellow fuse holder was broken where it goes into the harness. I fixed it and now the charger is turning on but acting differently then before. The needle immediately goes to 10 as soon as you plug it in then about 5-10 seconds later the needle goes to 0 then back up to 10. Seems to be charging but I no longer have the delay it used to have prior to the charger turning on. Does this mean my OBC is bad or should I be looking at something else? Thanks
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Powerdrive charger acting differently

Actually, what you describe is how my cart charges as well. I suspect all is well but the real CC experts can confirm or refute.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hopefully You left the battery pack disconnected while fixing that wire to allow the OBC to reset, if not, disconnect the battery pack for more than 10 minutes to reset the OBC.

The OBC behaves differently (self test, etc) if you have not driven the cart since last charge, but the current should always go to maximum on the charger ammeter regardless how full the batteries are.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Hopefully You left the battery pack disconnected while fixing that wire to allow the OBC to reset, if not, disconnect the battery pack for more than 10 minutes to reset the OBC.

The OBC behaves differently (self test, etc) if you have not driven the cart since last charge, but the current should always go to maximum on the charger ammeter regardless how full the batteries are.
I did not disconnect the pack when I repaired the gray wire. I just did so and let it reset. I plugged the charger back in. After about 7-10 seconds the charger kicks on, needle goes above 10. Another 5 or so seconds the charger kicks off then back on and seems to be charging. Is this normal? It used to kick on within 2-3 seconds and I don't recall seeing it kick off and back on. Thank you
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

After You drive the cart and plug it to charge it should do the normal self-test.

If You then unplug the charger (wait at least 20 sec without driving) and plug it back in the OBC will skip the self-test.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car