lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Otter10111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery guage

So I just purchased my first cart the other day, and I’m very interested in putting in a meter can you show more pictures of the install for this meter. Looks and sounds like it’s worth every penny.
Otter10111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2019, 11:59 PM   #12
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter10111 View Post
So I just purchased my first cart the other day, and I’m very interested in putting in a meter can you show more pictures of the install for this meter. Looks and sounds like it’s worth every penny.
To which meter are you refering? Are you thinking of the Victron or the cheaper digital voltmeter?
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Otter10111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The Victron, the website makes it look pretty easy to install. Your install looks professional.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The install is relatively easy.

To install the meter in that position there is a dimple in the dash at that spot. Use a 2" hole saw to drill into that spot (do it with the dash removed so that you don't hit anything behind the spot).

To install the shunt I put it on top of the aluminium OBC cover as you can see in the photo. Switch to Tow, remove the two centre batteries, undo the torx screw on the top of the cover and the cover swings forward. You can drill two holes for the mounting bolts about where I have them in the picture, near the Run/Tow switch. It needs to be oriented the way I have so that you can attach the cables to the meter and the centre-point of the batteries. You need an extra battery cable (a short one is good). Take the negative battery cable off and connect to the shunt then attach your new cable from the other side of the shunt to the battery negative. The shunt is marked as to which side to connect and it will finish up looking like my picture.

Put the cover and batteries back. There are two red cables which attach to the shunt which have ring ends to fit battery terminals. One goes from B1 on the shunt to the No 1 battery positive, don't worry about B2 for now. At this stage I connected the meter cable (comes with the meter) temporarily to check it was working. The meter should show the voltage and other information about the pack.

Once I had checked that all was working I then routed the cable properly. It is a bit fiddly but follow the existing cable loom under the floor to the back of the dash. The cable is much longer than is needed but I just coiled the excess in space beside the batteries because I did not want to cut the cable.

The mid-point cable (if you want to use it) is the other red cable and goes from B2 on the shunt to the positive terminal of battery 4 (right in front of the shunt). I think it is a good idea to use it like that but it can be used to monitor another battery if you wish (see the instruction book).

If you have the BMV-712 (and I recommend that one) you will also be able to monitor your batteries on your phone using the Victron app. This makes it very easy to keep an eye on all the parameters without having to scroll through them on the meter itself.

That's it. A bit of work but pretty straight forward. It is an excellent meter system.

Here's another picture that shows the red cables also (I didn't shorten them either) and one of the Victron app. Please excuse the dirty batteries, I need to clean them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shunt connections.jpg (224.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Victron app.jpg (188.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #15
Otter10111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great post and pic. I will get the meter ordered shortly and will use your posting along with the instructions for install. It will be a great up grade to my new cart and a great way to monitor battery life and performance. My new ride Is a 2016 club car precedent with a full enclosure and a factory speed unlock and new batteries. So pretty much stock, I will do the battery meter, mirror first, and dash then some blacked out 10 or 12 inch wheels.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #16
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter10111 View Post
Great post and pic. I will get the meter ordered shortly and will use your posting along with the instructions for install. It will be a great up grade to my new cart and a great way to monitor battery life and performance. My new ride Is a 2016 club car precedent with a full enclosure and a factory speed unlock and new batteries. So pretty much stock, I will do the battery meter, mirror first, and dash then some blacked out 10 or 12 inch wheels.
Terrific. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #17
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

As yours is a 2016 model it won't have the OBC but the cover is the same, as far as I know. So, my instructions should still be easy to follow.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #18
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

By-the-way, when I attached the shunt I did so by putting the bolts through my holes in the cover from the bottom and put nuts and shakeproof washers on top. This made them into captive bolts. I then slid the shunt onto then and finished with a spring washer and nut on top of the shunt holes.

This had a couple of advantages, it meant that the bolt is less likely to lose its nut and fall into the cover as it gets shaken around plus the shunt sits better on the nuts instead of being flat on the cover. There is still plenty of room under the seat.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
gchurchill
Not Yet Wild

Hi Yawood -
Just picked up a Victron BMV-702. Where did you splice yours into the battery bank? I was thinking on the in / out to the motor/load. Wondering what you did?
Thanks in advance!
gchurchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:30 AM   #20
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchurchill View Post
Hi Yawood -
Just picked up a Victron BMV-702. Where did you splice yours into the battery bank? I was thinking on the in / out to the motor/load. Wondering what you did?
Thanks in advance!
All the information you need is in Post #14 of this thread. The shunt goes in the negative battery cable as described. B1 goes to the No 1 battery positive and the mid-pont cable goes from B2 to the positive of the No 4 battery. The meter cable goes from the shunt to the meter.

Read this thread carefully in conjunction with the install instructions from Victron. It's pretty straightforward.

You won't get the output on your phone with the BMV-702 unless you get the additional bluetooth dongle, which is why I always advise people to get the BMV-712 which has the bluetooth built-in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car