lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Brownb2110
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Newbie

Hopefully I don’t get laughed at too bad and if this has been Eat in the ground in other posts, please let me know.
I just took delivery of a 2020 RXV yesterday. I have an unfinished basement which is where I was going to keep it until my wife started reading the manual and saw the warning regarding charging near gas furnace/water heater. We did some additional research and of course came across the articles on the batteries emitting hydrogen gas, etc.....
She’s a bit freaked out and wanting it out of the basement. I’m wondering how much of a concern is it to keep it in the basement with gas water heater and furnace in the vicinity?
Again, I’m totally new so I apologize in advance if this question is a dumb one. Just looking for opinions and experiences. Thanks
Brownb2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV Newbie

to BGW

It's definitely something to think about. I'm assuming the cart has lead acid batteries and not lithium?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Brownb2110
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it’s lead acid. I did a ton of research on carts leading up to the purchase but never knew of this possible issue until I looked at the manual.
I spoke to the dealer, he mentioned putting in an exhaust fan could be a possible solution to mitigate the risks.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yes, an exhaust fan would be a great idea. These batteries do gas while charging; I wouldn’t take any chances.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
Brownb2110
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-15-2020, 01:51 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The solution to ease the concerns is easy & free. Just charge it outside. Store it inside without concern. It only makes hydrogen in any amount of concern when charging.

Look at it from a statistical standpoint (I know, real statistics are a unpopular way of looking at things when fear sells so much better on the news). Hydrogen doesnt set anything on fire slowly, it effing explodes violently! (Look it up). Now, back to real statistics, when was the last time you heard of a garage blow up from a golf cart (again, go look it up)....... Since you just looked, and found zero instances, back to reality. If it were as bad as it all sounds from the "trusted news sources", 50% of all garages in florida retirement communities wouldnt even exist right now, and the attached home would be a smoldering pile of rubble.

Please, dont be a fool with explosive gasses, and please dont let baseless fear rule your life either.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
Brownb2110
Not Yet Wild

I was telling my wife the same thing. I used to work in a paper mill and carts were used all throughout....being charged in inclosed trailers, etc....and over 20 years, I never remember hearing any incidents. Not to say it can’t happen but it seems highly unlikely.
She has relaxed on it a bit but still wants some type of detector for the basement since it’s down near the water heater/furnace. I hear that some carbon monoxide detectors will detect. Any specific? Do they need to be combustible gas detectors?
The problem with charging outside is that 90% of the time I play golf/use the cart in the evenings. I’d have to get up at about 11:30pm to bring the cart in every night which isn’t ideal.
Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Obviously something to think about but remember Hydrogen rises so would collect near the ceiling. Water heater and furnace are at floor level so it would take quite a bit to get bad. A vent at the top and fan at the bottom would definitely help.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO