lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
dptester
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Increase RXV Torque with Factory Level Programming Station?

Greetings. I have been reading and learning from this forum for a couple of years and finally decided to set up a programming station for my 2018 RXV. I have been successful in connecting to my controller in Factory access level. I would like to know if it is possible to increase the torque to maintain more speed up steep hills, and if so, what settings to change? My wheels measure about 18.5" and my controller has Freedom mode enabled. I don't want to change anything until one of the experts here tells me if it's possible, and what to change. Thanks for your help.
dptester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
dptester
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Increase RXV Torque with Factory Level Programming Station?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptester View Post
Greetings. I have been reading and learning from this forum for a couple of years and finally decided to set up a programming station for my 2018 RXV. I have been successful in connecting to my controller in Factory access level. I would like to know if it is possible to increase the torque to maintain more speed up steep hills, and if so, what settings to change? My wheels measure about 18.5" and my controller has Freedom mode enabled. I don't want to change anything until one of the experts here tells me if it's possible, and what to change. Thanks for your help.
Even with Factory level, the unchanged settings at Development level will override any of the lower level changes.

It's not the parameters alone that are the key to top performance, though they do play a limited role. I've never revealed in public exactly how I unlock these controllers in order to reguage their interaction with the VCL. And I won't. If I were to do that, it would spell the end of controller modifying reprogramming. And probably spell the end of the use of Curtis controllers for these applications.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
dptester
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob, Thank you for the reply. I was able to connect at development level and can now turn Freedom mode off and on. You made the following comment a while back: "Be careful if Freedom Mode has been enabled with a passkey. You can corrupt controller memory by making advanced level changes if you don't toggle Freedom Mode off first. The changes made by the passkey need to be undone prior to re-enabling Freedom Mode without the passkey. Once that is done, it'll be safe to make higher level changes without corruption.
The motor current maps are what need to be returned to original, if they were changed from stock. Toggle off Freedom Mode, reset those maps, then toggle Freedom Mode back on. Once that is done, all changes after that can be done without fear of corruption."
Is it the Drive Limiting Maps under Current Limits that need to be restored to their original settings? I have attached a file of my current settings. Can you tell me if mine have been changed and if so, what they need to be changed back to? If I toggle Freedom off, is the passkey gone so that when I toggle it back on it is without the passkey? I'm not looking for top performance, I just want a little more torque up hills and to maybe increase the speed a couple mph and was hoping to get some guidance on what to change. At a minimum, would you be willing to tell me what not to do in order to avoid corrupting the memory? Any help would be appreciated. I have read through a lot posts on this subject and they are all sufficiently vague! Please reply via PM if you prefer to not make this public. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Developer level Freedom.pdf (1.87 MB, 0 views)
Old 07-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #5
relcead
Not Yet Wild

Hey there. I am no expert on AC Controllers. I mostly see DC Controllers.

It makes a huge difference but some things are shared - like the battery characteristics. They all run on DC power source so they all come down to follow Ohms law.

I would measure the drop of voltage on the battery pack and speed when going up hill and start from there.

Read this manual for DC Drives to understand why this happens. The things you describe are normal due to the work the motor has to do climbing.

You have two options generally speaking. High torque or high speed. High speed comes with low torque and vice versa as far as i know. There is a sweet spot of controller configuration for both at the same time depending on your requirements.

As a start point read the tuning instructions for DC Controllers. I did not find this for ac but some things are shared.

http://seniord.ece.iastate.edu/proje...r%20manual.pdf

Tuning Guide on page 32 and hill climbing on page 42 (omg it is 42)

Answers to this questions here in the forum are rare - i do not know why.

There are some people that want to dive deeper. I had contact with this expert - he helped me a lot to start digging into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIsZK9PL-Y

Have a nice journey - i really liked mine.
relcead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
relcead
Not Yet Wild

Torque Mode ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRBdl_n0O4
relcead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by relcead View Post
Hey there. I am no expert on AC Controllers. I mostly see DC Controllers.

It makes a huge difference but some things are shared - like the battery characteristics. They all run on DC power source so they all come down to follow Ohms law.

I would measure the drop of voltage on the battery pack and speed when going up hill and start from there.

Read this manual for DC Drives to understand why this happens. The things you describe are normal due to the work the motor has to do climbing.

You have two options generally speaking. High torque or high speed. High speed comes with low torque and vice versa as far as i know. There is a sweet spot of controller configuration for both at the same time depending on your requirements.

As a start point read the tuning instructions for DC Controllers. I did not find this for ac but some things are shared.

http://seniord.ece.iastate.edu/proje...r%20manual.pdf

Tuning Guide on page 32 and hill climbing on page 42 (omg it is 42)

Answers to this questions here in the forum are rare - i do not know why.

There are some people that want to dive deeper. I had contact with this expert - he helped me a lot to start digging into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIsZK9PL-Y

Have a nice journey - i really liked mine.
The torque vs speed choice only applies to motor builds with series DC carts. SepEx helped with that, and AC carts solved it. With AC drive, you can have both speed and torque in the same vehicle...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO