lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
Roy Beaty
Not Yet Wild

Default new battery charging question

I bought 6 new batteries for my cart. the guy that sold them to me said "Dont charge them, they come fully charged. Run them completely down 3 times so they dont get a memory set".
Is he wrong? Sounds like bad advice to me.
They are lead/acid, not NiCad which can get a memory. I have read the battery info thread. I plan to fully charge them once installed. Am i doing it right?
Roy Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new battery charging question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Beaty View Post
I bought 6 new batteries for my cart. the guy that sold them to me said "Dont charge them, they come fully charged. Run them completely down 3 times so they dont get a memory set".
They are lead/acid, not NiCad which can get a memory. I have read the battery info thread. I plan to fully charge them once installed. Am i doing it right?
Hopefully the quality of the batteries you got is better than the quality of the information you got from that guy.

Lead-Acid, Wet-Cell, Deep-Cycle batteries self discharge at about 1% per day, so they are not fully charged when you pick them up from the vendor.

They should be charged prior to their first use in your cart. A quick test to see if they are installed right is okay, but no more the 100 yards or so, just to make sure everything works.

The first charge may take 12 hours or more, so you may have to initiate a second charge cycle if the first on times out without reaching the cutoff voltage or other charge complete criteria.

Here is a good battery break-in procedure. Also, read the other FAQs on the site. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
He couldn't be more wrong! Lead acid batteries do NOT develop a memory. And you should NEVER run them down completely whether they are new or old.

It look like you are on the right course despite getting bad advice
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What Johnnie said👍
He is the battery guru 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

JohnnieB wont steer ya wrong. & he collects the all data like none I've ever seen. He has the gritty details on batteries, for sure!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
ROY, something else to remember....that guys is the business to sale batteries.....if YOU don't take care of them properly, you will be back buying batteries SOONER SOOOOO with that in mind, don't listen to what he was telling you, listing to what Johnnie is telling you.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO