lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Throttle has intermittent pwr cut-out's

I'm best guessing this is or could be something in the throttle box (maybe the Molex connector?) as when I was hunting on this wonderful 68 degree sunny with low humidity day.....I had this issue with my cart.

I was traveling at low speed...across low cut hay fields....when the unit would suddenly have complete loss of power. But this was less than a second long..and a few times it would run..cut...runnnnnnnn...cut...run...cut etc. When I went (on a smooth road) to either half-throttle or full-throttle, it worked fine. No cut-outs.

Now, my two voltage readers did not drop or do anything weird. This "feels like" a bad wire connection that is kind of loose, then makes the connection.

When I did my 14 module upgrade I did have one wire that was not crimped properly and I fixed that. But this is somewhat different as the bad crimp situation would completely stop all power.

What say ye guru's? Throttle box suspect?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Throttle has intermittent pwr cut-out's

Would help if we knew what controller, solenoid, and F&R is in the cart and the age of each one of those items
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ahhhh......Scotty.

If you look at my "Signature" it's all there except the solenoid. The solenoid is a HD one....the brand at this point IDK. But I'll look later today and post that info.

Your input is much appreciated!!

So anyone doesn't have to "search"

Controller:Alltrax 4865 650amp....a good 10YO
F&R Switch: ScottyB's Super Duty contactors.....likely 8YO
Solenoid: Age is the same as the controller, 10YO

Also, when this power "stop" occurs, I don't hear anything "clicking" (like the solenoid or the reversing contactors)
Old 09-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Cutting out at low speeds while driving across a bumpy surface might be the pack voltage dropping below the AXE's low voltage cutoff point during high amp draw conditions.

The AXE senses the pack voltage between its B- and B+ terminals, so bad cables, connections or contacts could be the issue rather than the actual battery pack or BMS. And the solenoids not dropping out tends to indicate the pack voltage at the battery pack is not dropping excessively, so look for a high current path(s) to the controller that doesn't include the low current path(s) to the main solenoid and reversing contactor solenoids.

If you have the ability to connect a laptop to the AXE, record a data log while driving across a field and getting power cut-outs. It would show pack voltage as seen by the controller as well as throttle % during the cut-outs.

Also, does the problem happen on a smooth surface at low speeds. If it doesn't, try bouncing your foot on the pedal to emulate what your foot does on bumpy ground and see if it cuts out.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Cutting out at low speeds while driving across a bumpy surface might be the pack voltage dropping below the AXE's low voltage cutoff point during high amp draw conditions.

The AXE senses the pack voltage between its B- and B+ terminals, so bad cables, connections or contacts could be the issue rather than the actual battery pack or BMS. And the solenoids not dropping out tends to indicate the pack voltage at the battery pack is not dropping excessively, so look for a high current path(s) to the controller that doesn't include the low current path(s) to the main solenoid and reversing contactor solenoids.

If you have the ability to connect a laptop to the AXE, record a data log while driving across a field and getting power cut-outs. It would show pack voltage as seen by the controller as well as throttle % during the cut-outs.

Also, does the problem happen on a smooth surface at low speeds. If it doesn't, try bouncing your foot on the pedal to emulate what your foot does on bumpy ground and see if it cuts out.
I can connect my old Dell\Windows laptop to the controller and see what info I get from that.

And I did try yesterday...driving up a smooth gravel road with a slight rise in it. Tried low speed and high speed and experienced no cut out's of power.

I check a few things today as I'll have some time to do that.

Thanks for all of your input. It helps me to attempt to zero in on the issue.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I checked the majority of places where a lose connection would make a difference. The current carrying cables are nice 'n tight as are the reversing contactors cable's and wire.

What may be suspect is the LV relay connection as the male end slips over the female end that's on the relay. It just pulled out to easy for my taste. I pulled it off and on several times and then took the cart for a short ride down over the hill into the woods and had no issues.

Before I head out again, I will put a little "squeeze" on the male connector in order to have a solid engagement on the LV terminal.

Then I'll give it a longer test run.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well....today I took the cart to my hunting spot to set out a trail cam. It's rough there and if something were to still be amiss that place is where it would show up.

So, apparently it was the LV relay connection. A little crimp with pliers on the male connector must have done the trick as I had zero issues today.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO