lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Mscofelia85
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Takes off fast but slow top speed?

Ok so first off thanks for the add or join, not sure what to call it I'm new to the world of golf carts. I'm pretty mechanically incline but when it comes to golf carts I'm a newbie. So I have what might kinda be allot of info. but that being said, I just want to give as much info as possible, that way I get as as much info. in return. Ok so here goes nothing. So bought a 2008 club Car Precedent for $300. The info. tag is silver says Reman Precedent. The serial number is 9J0851-621473 (I found it weird it starts with a 9 and I couldn't find any info. on why this could be) I do know that it went the silver club car reman process and its an 08 and guessing its a 08.5 do to the 51 after o8. It looked to be in very good condition for its age. It was supposed to be a non running golf cart, but only supposed to have bad batteries that wont charge at all. The guy I bought the cart from wasn't home at the time, so the sale went through his teenage son which didn't know much about the cart other than one day it stopped working and wouldn't take a charge, and they just let it sit there for months , not sure how long. Until I come by and asked if they wanted to sale it. Well I've done enough Googling to know that the charger will not even kick on until there are so many volts in the pack (35 I think). I was thinking screw it for only $300 seems like a good deal even tho it needs batteries. So I brought it home and I hooked them the batteries up one by one to a car battery charger until they had enough volts in the pack, for the charger to cut on. I figure what the hell the worst they could do was not hold a charge. So they charged for a good ten hours or more. The charger finally cut off and to my surprise they actually had over a 12v charge. I got out the ol trusty multi meter and this is what I found the pack it self had 51.8 volts, the driver front side had 12.7, the driver rear 12.9 the passenger rear had 12.8 and the passenger front was at 12.8.(oh yeah it has the four 12v battery pack). I was very surprised they even got that high. I jump on it and realize there is no key I pull off the dash panel and just jump the blue and green wire together. Bad *** I have, power lets ride......this thang takes off like a rocket hits about 7 mph and it falls on its face, flat out foot on the floor 7 mph that's all she'll run. Now of course I've done allot more googling, and read that it could be the MCOR and I know that I have a MCOR2 but it doesn't seem to be jerking. I've also read that it could be the speed sensor, I did the push test to see if it made noise or tried to slow it's self it did neither. But maybe someone in the past could have disable it?(Not even sure if that's possible but that's why I'm putting it here) So with all that info. what does the world of BGW think it could be. I'm guessing the batteries but they seem to charge ok, but than again I'm no battery nor cart expert. Could it be the MCOR, I did notice that when I was barely pressing the pedal that every once in a while it would just stop and I would have to release the pedal and start over with the throttle again. Is there a way to test the MCOR. Could it be that I jumped the two wires together behind the key switch, IDK where to start now.
Mscofelia85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Takes off fast but slow top speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscofelia85 View Post
.... I got out the ol trusty multi meter and this is what I found the pack it self had 51.8 volts, the driver front side had 12.7, the driver rear 12.9 the passenger rear had 12.8 and the passenger front was at 12.8.(oh yeah it has the four 12v battery pack). I was very surprised they even got that high. I jump on it and realize there is no key I pull off the dash panel and just jump the blue and green wire together. Bad *** I have, power lets ride......this thang takes off like a rocket hits about 7 mph and it falls on its face, flat out foot on the floor 7 mph that's all she'll run. Now of course I've done allot more googling, and read that it could be the MCOR and I know that I have a MCOR2 but it doesn't seem to be jerking. I've also read that it could be the speed sensor, I did the push test to see if it made noise or tried to slow it's self it did neither. But maybe someone in the past could have disable it? ....
Did you check the battery water levels?
Jumping the Key switch isn't going to hurt anything, just remove the jumper when you are done driving.
The Key switch is just an On/Off switch with a key.
The 7 mph limit sounds like the speed sensor or magnet might be bad.
I think there is a test procedure for the sensor here on the forum.
I don't think an MCOR always jerks when it goes bad, it's just a variable resistor with a wiper so if part of it is shorted it could just stop changing at some speed.
It would jerk when it's dirty giving variable readings at different spots.
The push test may not work if the buzzer is bad, mine hasn't worked in months.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Mscofelia85
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I checked the water level in the battery when I first picked it up. It was right above the cells, but after charge it at the exact level it should've been. Ok so i pulled the speed magnet out and it looked perfect. It wasn't very magnetized tho LoL I'm not real sure how strong the magnet is supposed to be but it didn't even hold my screw driver to it. But I cleaned it off and put it back LoL. Also just earlier after I typed all that long *** paragraph I went out to the cart and pushed it again for good measure. I had to push it a good 10 or 15 feet before it worked, but it finally worked. Where is a good place to get a speed sensor and a magnet? I'll start there, let me see if I can find the speed sensor test some where on here. Thank for the response, all the help I can get is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does your battery box under the seat have a divider down the middle? If so, you have a 2008, not a 2008.5. If not, you have a 2008.5.

Start with the speed sensor. Take your right rear wheel off and get a good look at what your motor/speed sensor look like so you make sure to get the right one. There are two different kinds.

I say to start with the speed sensor because it is such an easy/cheap thing to change as compared to the MCOR. The MCOR isn't that bad, but a speed sensor is literally a 10 minute job including removing and replacing the right rear wheel.

By the way, your speed symptom matches my experience with my 2008 exactly, and in my case it was the speed sensor.
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
Mscofelia85
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozycart View Post
Does your battery box under the seat have a divider down the middle? If so, you have a 2008, not a 2008.5. If not, you have a 2008.5.

Start with the speed sensor. Take your right rear wheel off and get a good look at what your motor/speed sensor look like so you make sure to get the right one. There are two different kinds.

I say to start with the speed sensor because it is such an easy/cheap thing to change as compared to the MCOR. The MCOR isn't that bad, but a speed sensor is literally a 10 minute job including removing and replacing the right rear wheel.

By the way, your speed symptom matches my experience with my 2008 exactly, and in my case it was the speed sensor.

Awesome man I pretty sure after reading more and more online, it’s just the speed sensor, I’m gonna place an order for one right now! I’ll go ahead and order the speed magnet while I’m at it! Not sure if it really works but we’ll see 🤷🏻*♂️ Yes my cart does have a divider down the middle, so I have a 2008 model. Are there any other changes? Like multiple drive systems or motors in the 2008 club car precedent?
Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you want to know the real year of manufacture you need to take the floor mat up and remove the cover for the brake mech. Look toward the back and you will see a sticker with the original serial number. My guess is that it is a 05 or 06. You may need the old year when ordering some parts. See picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan-May 2015 007.jpg (159.8 KB, 0 views)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #7
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Speed magnet won't necessarily work depending on what you have.

Google "speed code 5". For roughly $100 plus a stock speed sensor you should get around 19 mph.
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:43 AM   #8
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

As long as the 2nd digit in the serial# is a "Q", the speed magnet will work...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:44 AM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Guys, is it possible that he's in limp mode? Either way, $300 for a cart? That's an absolutely smoking hot deal. To the OP: most CC keys are the same, so your local dealer will have it. Depending on what you plan on doing with the cart overall (where you're going to park it, etc), you may want to upgrade the lock cylinder to one with a better key. I used one from a Sportster and am happy with it, but there are other options...even better Club Car branded ones.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
Mscofelia85
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If you want to know the real year of manufacture you need to take the floor mat up and remove the cover for the brake mech. Look toward the back and you will see a sticker with the original serial number. My guess is that it is a 05 or 06. You may need the old year when ordering some parts. See picture
Awesome thanks Walter that’s exactly what I needed to know!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car