lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
cohen
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Voltage reducer - key switch and bypass?

I have a 5wire 36v to 12v 30a voltage reducer I’m wanting to wire up to my key switch but also thinking I would like to have a switch to do a bypass that allows it to stay on constantly for the occasion where I’m out somewhere and want to have underglow on and walk away with my key. Thinking I would need a pretty high voltage, 40a spdt switch? Not sure how I would wire it up as its a 3 post switch that calls for Load 1, Bat +, and Load 2.

Here’s my napkin diagram...

Haven’t found what I’m looking for on search function...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 69D687CA-3235-4498-83B8-63C41AE6001A.jpeg (362.9 KB, 0 views)
cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer - key switch and bypass?

I opted not to get into the keyswitch because I've heard with RXVs, that's a disaster. I just ran off the 48V (in my case) batteries, running the positive through a 125V 15A toggle switch I installed on the top plastic piece behind the front seats. It's habit for me to flip that when I sit down. Like you, it's nice to have that on, leave the hazards or LEDGlow going while parked. I made a crappy little video of the setup which includes the switch. There are some follow-up videos posted in the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCYpuP-sxlE
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since the OP has a TXT that is a pretty easy setup and he got it almost right....

Connect the existing "thin red wire" that comes from the key switch to one side (pole) of the SPDT switch.

Connect the other end of the "thin red wire" that goes to the converter on the middle terminal.

Connect the other side (pole) of the SPDT switch to the thick red wire that goes into the converter.

You can now flip the switch one way and the converter is powered by the Key switch or flip the switch the other way and the converter is always ON.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
cohen
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since the OP has a TXT that is a pretty easy setup and he got it almost right....

Connect the existing "thin red wire" that comes from the key switch to one side (pole) of the SPDT switch.

Connect the other end of the "thin red wire" that goes to the converter on the middle terminal.

Connect the other side (pole) of the SPDT switch to the thick red wire that goes into the converter.

You can now flip the switch one way and the converter is powered by the Key switch or flip the switch the other way and the converter is always ON.

Awesome I was hoping you’d chime in. So do I need a heavy duty switch? Not much available higher than 12-24VDC and 20amp or so? And doing a 36v->12v 30amp reducer.

Updated diagram, now should be correct. Need any other fuses?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C465E6C6-68C7-4C09-BCC5-D4F718534FB5.jpeg (292.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That thin red "trigger" wire on the converter carries very little current, less than 0.1 amps.

You can get any switch rated for 12vDC @ 5amps or higher and it will work fine.

Make sure you get a water proof switch if mounted on the dash.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
cohen
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Double post
Old 10-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
cohen
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That thin red "trigger" wire on the converter carries very little current, less than 0.1 amps.

You can get any switch rated for 12vDC @ 5amps or higher and it will work fine.

Make sure you get a water proof switch if mounted on the dash.

Sergio, so I hooked it up and only getting 2 volts at the fuse block. The thick red line with fuse coming off reducer is right next to unit so couldn’t tie in switch line behind fuse so added another fuse on side next to switch. Wondering if my fuse sizes are wrong.

The SPDT switch is working though just only getting 2volts at fuse block when on and 0 when key off (in corresponding positions)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4486B630-42F6-46CE-AEDF-E556825044BF.jpeg (274.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The SPDT "always on" side can come from the pack positive or any other constant power source, You can use 18 gauge and 5 amp fuse or aything larger will work fine.

Make sure everything else is still connected and You are getting +48v between Thick red wire and black wire and also thin red wire and black wire.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Normally the switch has the hot coming into the switch on the middle connector and then the outs are the on each end of it. Your drawing shows the key switch on one end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spdt-on-off-on jpg.jpg (42.8 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

His original drawing is correct, what that switch is doing is selecting two different power sources to activate the converter:
1) Key Switch output
2) +48v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO