lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #1
fastlx
Not Yet Wild

Default 2016 RXV won't move

Hi all. I have a 2016 RXV and today it stopped in its tracks. So I had to manually jumper the wires under the cover to tow the cart back to the house. Just moving the switch to tow wouldn't work. Tested battery voltage is over 50 VDC. When I move the key to R, I hear a small click (I assume the brake) and the buzzer is working. But when I try to turn the lights on they light up for maybe 3 seconds and go out. When I press the pedal no sounds are heard at the solenoid and the cart won't move. I checked the blue wire on the charge port and it has 50 VDC when the charger is unplugged.

Bad Solenoid? It is original.

Thanks for your help.

VW
fastlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 04:26 AM   #2
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2016 RXV won't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlx View Post
Hi all. I have a 2016 RXV and today it stopped in its tracks. So I had to manually jumper the wires under the cover to tow the cart back to the house. Just moving the switch to tow wouldn't work. Tested battery voltage is over 50 VDC. When I move the key to R, I hear a small click (I assume the brake) and the buzzer is working. But when I try to turn the lights on they light up for maybe 3 seconds and go out. When I press the pedal no sounds are heard at the solenoid and the cart won't move. I checked the blue wire on the charge port and it has 50 VDC when the charger is unplugged.

Bad Solenoid? It is original.

Thanks for your help.

VW
Does the solenoid double click when you turn the key? I had a similar issue and it was solenoid. Another member had a burned out controller.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:37 AM   #3
fastlx
Not Yet Wild

yes. it double clicks. The head lights still come on just for 2-3 seconds, don't know if this is important? Thanks
Old 10-29-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
fastlx
Not Yet Wild

I think this could be the issue? Going to replace it today. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (83.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That's a 36v continuous solenoid. A 2016 cart should have a 48v continuous solenoid. What RXV controller do you have in your cart 1206AC_52??
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah double click definitely is solenoid and your picture shows a solenoid that overheated likely due to a poor connection. There are other threads here, but make sure that connection is solid and the washer sits flush, trim the washer down in size if necessary to make a flush connection.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
Signal_Engineer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My 2016 cart has the same 36v solenoid, but the driver settings on the 1206AC-5201 controller are set to 75% pull in, meaning that the controller will only apply 36v of the 48v battery supply to the solenoid coils. Its the current rating of the solenoid that's important to avoid overheating and failure of the terminal posts, not the voltage.

Does anyone know the current rating of this type of solenoid? I've increased my speed limit to 17.5mph and notice from the controller logs that I'm pulling 145A from the battery on uphill sections - is this within the rating of the solenoid or should I upgrade it?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (103.6 KB, 0 views)
Signal_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That 1206AC_5201 calls for a 36v solenoid. About halfway thru 2014 EZGO Curtis went to a 48v solenoid and pull in at 100% starting with the 1206AC_5211 controllers.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
Signal_Engineer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

From the Trombetta datasheet, it looks like the solenoid can carry 310A and interrupt 225A, so within the 235A (motor?) rating of the stock Curtis Controller.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trombetta_PowerSeal-IntermDuty_SS-v4.pdf (780.6 KB, 0 views)
Signal_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #10
fastlx
Not Yet Wild

New solenoid. 30 bucks. runs perfect. I did trim the one connector to get a firm seat on the new solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO