lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default Alltrax controller- How long to install

Give me some numbers for you guys who have installed an Alltrax controller. I only have a couple hours available Friday night to work on it and don’t want to have an unusable cart Saturday morning.

I read all the directions. Is the removal of 4 batteries really necessary?

I’m only installing a xct48300 in a 2017 Precedent.

Is this a 2 hour or half day job for someone fairly handy with their fingers.
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax controller- How long to install

Rule of thumb: don't start a project that could potentially keep the cart down when you need it. If there's a defect, a hiccup, lost part, problem with programming, whatever. How are your cables?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You can also jack it up and access it from underneath. There is a black access panel.

Start to finish, 2 hours or less. But from the top is easier in most cases. The 300 will require no more upgraded equipment. Just take your time and follow the drawings. Be sure to place your regen diode on the large posts of the solenoid.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would plan for an entire day, it is not so simple on the Precedent.

You will need to re-arrange the main harness route to create slack for the controller 16-pin connector depending on mounting orientation.

The Alltrax controller will not fit nicely in the same space that was designed for the Curtis controller, definitely follow the instructions for the proper placement location.

If You are replacing the solenoid with a higher current one they will have 3/8" studs instead of the 5/16" like the stock one.

Make sure you have 5/16" and 3/8" ring connectors for 10-12ga wire as You will need them for the motor field wires and for the solenoid and B- connections if you upgrade the positive and/or negative cables.

I would say removing the center two batteries is mandatory to allow for an adequate working area.

Just take your time and it is definitely a worth while upgrade
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
HogKiller
Gone Wild

It took me for-fcking-ever. I was provided ZERO instructions and told “It’s easy.” Sounds like you have the Alltrax step-by-step install directions, so you’re already ahead of me. Make sure you have the necessary mounting hardware. I don’t know how different a 2017 Precedent is from my 2010. I needed a grinder and a dremel-type cutting tool for my install.
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I also have a 2010 Precedent and I did not grind the water deflecting ledge on mine or mounted in a way that needed the OBC extension cable.

I also wanted to keep as much of the protective back cover as possible so that took some extra time planning.

I did not use the blue mounting bracket, it is not needed and further pushed the controller to the back of the cart.

Just take time planning rather then just jumping right in and it will be fine.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
charlie9092000
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbdale View Post
Give me some numbers for you guys who have installed an Alltrax controller. I only have a couple hours available Friday night to work on it and don’t want to have an unusable cart Saturday morning.

I read all the directions. Is the removal of 4 batteries really necessary?

I’m only installing a xct48300 in a 2017 Precedent.

Is this a 2 hour or half day job for someone fairly handy with their fingers.
I installed the Alltrax in my 2016 club car , allow yourself at least 4 hours.

You don't want be in a hurry on something like this. it's not a drop in replacement, there is some drilling and cutting required. Make sure you purchase a battery gauge since your yellow battery dummy light will no longer work .
charlie9092000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default Alltrax controller- How long to install

Ok thanks everyone for the quick responses. I’ll set aside some time next week to tackle the install. When I hear the words “plug and play”, 15-20 minutes come to mind. [emoji12]

Many times I’ve tackled a 10 minute project on my boat, that quickly turns into a 3-4 day project after a broken bolt or a missing part. So I know all about Gremlins.
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie9092000 View Post
Make sure you purchase a battery gauge since your yellow battery dummy light will no longer work .
Really? Why not?
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
Really? Why not?
Because he upgraded an ERIC precedent (2014+) and in those models the Controller turns the battery warning light ON/OFF.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car