lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2021, 11:37 PM   #11
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Help Recognizing Unexpected Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
Here is a little more info. . .

Today we took a little drive. . . 420 pounds total passenger weight. 45 minute drive, 5 miles travelled.

NO unusual sounds. I felt the controller, it was hot, the motor was too hot to touch.

I知 beginning to think the sound originated from the motor.
I agree about the sound most likely coming from the motor.
If you went only 5 miles in 45 minutes you were creeping. That controller and motor don't like pulling that load at such a slow speed. It's just like kgsc said in his post.

I have said it before, at least twice, and this is the last time I'll say it. If you don't take my advice then I don't want to hear you scream when that motor and/or controller burns up.

You need to take every cable/wire from the batteries to the controller and the motor off its connection and check it, then clean it and the connection. Start with the battery cables. You can do them one at a time, of course. Try to wiggle the lug to see if it moves. You know it should not. From time to time I would notice a burning smell and could not figure out where it was coming from. When I upgraded to 4g cables I found the problem with an old 6g cable. I have attached a photo. It was wrapped to perfection with electrical tape and the lug looked okay. But when I happened to hold it by the lug I felt that it was loose. I removed the tape and this is what I found. You never know what's hiding under tape or heat shrink stuff (can't think of proper name).

When you put each cable or wire back on you need to torque it properly. Under- and over-torqued cables can cause increased/decreased resistance. Something that simple can cause the controller and motor to overheat.

Honestly, I don't like to see the dust and dirt that I'm seeing on your motor cable connections. Also, those connections should be covered.

Lastly, please don't assume that is the D&D motor you think it is. You need to get the model number off your motor to know for sure. Looking at the photo my first thought is that someone has had that motor apart based on all the scratches and marks from the mid-section to the end. If not, whoever installed that motor wasn't very careful with it. It may have been the same guy who thought it was okay to use whatever bolts were within reach for the diff cover.

When you are sure you have eliminated any basic connection problems that may be causing your problem, then you can move on to the controller and motor diagnostics. I'm just trying to save you from having to admit to your wife that a loose connection is the cause of the problem. Duh!

All said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main Positive Cable.jpg (530.7 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2021, 11:56 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What CC said.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #13
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I always put the felt washers and grease when installing car batteries. What is the standard of care for golf cart batteries?

I do have to clean the cables, I will search for the proper torque of the connections and replace any questionable cables.

Also I値l make sure I知 running 4 g cables.

Thanks
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not familiar with that controller but I just read that the current and speed are adjustable with a screwdriver.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #15
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Controller looks like a GE.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:24 AM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
Controller looks like a GE.
It is a GE. Are you familiar with this model?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:09 AM   #17
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
It is a GE. Are you familiar with this model?
Says FSIP on the controller and dated 2013. Does GE own FSIP?
It is adjustable for 3 settings but I'm not going there.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:21 AM   #18
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
I always put the felt washers and grease when installing car batteries. What is the standard of care for golf cart batteries?

I do have to clean the cables, I will search for the proper torque of the connections and replace any questionable cables.

Also I値l make sure I知 running 4 g cables.

Thanks
No washers, of any kind or size. I have a old thread asking the same question and the general consensus of the experts is not to use them.
No grease, either. Use the spray battery cable protector.
Make sure you have the correct type and size bolts.
Be sure battery cable is the first thing placed on the battery stud, then any smaller wires go on top. See my old thread.

Battery cable torque is 110 inch-lb. I bought a Tekton (model 24320) in-lb torque wrench on Amazon.

EDIT: If you need new cables or motor wires call ScottyB or David at Revolutions. They have the "real" cables you need. Cheaper cables won't do.

Last edited by CCNorth; 01-19-2021 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: Another bright idea
Old 01-19-2021, 01:24 AM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Says FSIP on the controller and dated 2013. Does GE own FSIP?
It is adjustable for 3 settings but I'm not going there.
I think they are an independent company. Yes I have dealt with them.

As far as the settings go neither am I. However I am sure if something is out of whack it could create heat. Not saying it is. Bound to be somebody in here who knows something about them.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:54 AM   #20
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is some more info about the controller. . . FSIP GE series 500 amp controller.

It must be an upgrade since the cart is a model year 2006, and it is adjustable, I知 not going there either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSIP Motor Controller.jpg (230.1 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STAR Controller Manual.pdf (316.8 KB, 0 views)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car