lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
gbruce1949
Not Yet Wild

Default gear oil for rear axle

Hi all,
Is there a certain gear oil for my electric ezgo RXV drive train .....the manual says Mobil 424, is their another name or brand
George
gbruce1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: gear oil for rear axle

Mobile 424 was the fluid used on the early rxv (the thinnest, and least preferred in my opinion). Rxv had a few different fluids over the years. 75w90 gear oil with friction modifier is the current fill, & a good choice. I use my own mixture, 75w90 friction modified gear oil, 2oz additional friction modifier, and Lucas oil stabilizer, with the Lucas comprising of 50% or less of the mixture. I usually do roughly 12oz oil, 12oz lucas, 2oz friction modifier. 26oz total.

I think the additional friction modifier helps keep the posi quiet, and the lucas makes the oil sticky, quieting the gears.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
gbruce1949
Not Yet Wild

thank you
gbruce1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Bilito
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2001 TXT 36V were is the oil filler to check the oil in the rear end?
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

See TXT Owners Manual:
Attached Images
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto zu 2020-12-26 00-00-27.png (125.1 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I have a 2001 TXT 36V were is the oil filler to check the oil in the rear end?
Just to keep everyone square on what's what, in advance of additional questions, I was giving my recommendation for the rxv (which uses Much more gear oil than a txt). A txt has no need for additional friction modifier, or friction modified gear oil, but it wont hurt it, and that's what I stock, thats what it gets, just no additional friction modifier, and a whole lot less fluid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Just to keep everyone square on what's what, in advance of additional questions, I was giving my recommendation for the rxv (which uses Much more gear oil than a txt). A txt has no need for additional friction modifier, or friction modified gear oil, but it wont hurt it, and that's what I stock, thats what it gets, just no additional friction modifier, and a whole lot less fluid.
To further clarify:

The RXV family of carts has a limited slip (Posi-trac) differential, so the lubricant has to contain friction modifiers and 26oz are used.

The TXT and its predecessors have an open style differential (side with least traction gets all the power) and can use motor oil or gear oil, with or without friction modifiers or other additives, and 10oz of lubricant are used.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Bilito
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Solving a brake issue led me to another question about fluid level in the rear end.
The technicians repair manual says that the cart should be level, when I checked mine earlier today both the right wheels were on floor tiles and the left were on the concrete floor, raising up the right side a bit. When I removed the plug I fully expected no oil to come out.
BUT Surprise, oil was running out. I suspect it was overfilled.
What to do?
Here is my thought, park it perfectly level, remove the plug and let the oil drain out until it stops, then it should be at the proper level. What do you all think????
BTW there is no evidence anywhere of any oil leaks.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Solving a brake issue led me to another question about fluid level in the rear end.
The technicians repair manual says that the cart should be level, when I checked mine earlier today both the right wheels were on floor tiles and the left were on the concrete floor, raising up the right side a bit. When I removed the plug I fully expected no oil to come out.
BUT Surprise, oil was running out. I suspect it was overfilled.
What to do?
Here is my thought, park it perfectly level, remove the plug and let the oil drain out until it stops, then it should be at the proper level. What do you all think????
BTW there is no evidence anywhere of any oil leaks.
The drain plug on the pan is a leftover from earlier designs that only used 10 Oz of oil, so if you let the oil level drain down to that plug level, the RXV differential will be severely under-filled.

In later model RXVs there was a fill plug higher up in the actual differential housing at about axle level. If your cart doesn't have the high level filler hole, you have to remove the driver side axle to fill.

Attached is a page from the RXV service manual (Manual is too big to post here) and I also attached the Dana service manual for the limited slip differential the RXV uses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV fill.jpg (325.4 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dana electric transaxle,2008.pdf (1.69 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
Bilito
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry I should have mentioned it again, but I have a TXT not an RXV.
See post #4 above
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO